Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras vs. Other D100 games

Mythras vs. Other D100 games

Postby umbraldragon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:16 pm

Lately, I've had a chance to take a breather and look at some other D100 games, some unique systems as well. No matter how complicated they say their games are or how innovative and "new," I still keep coming to the same conclusion. I like Mythras better. In terms of playability, the more you play the smoother it feels. Combats, whether they include magic or ranged, or melee, or whatever, make sense to me more and more. I've seen a few other D100 games that combine constitution with size or another stat to make a pool of hit points. This is okay for some games, although I can't think of any at the moment; but, I like the concept of how shields work, and helmets, and piecemeal armor, you lose a bit of tension once you combine hit points and take away the hit locations. And, even though Mythras isn't a tabletop miniatures wargame, with grids or hexes and a stack of rules to handle the logistics of movement, it works at that level, even with armies battling each other with champions on the field that can effect the outcome, or ship combat with boarding parties of marines or barbarians. I've also had a chance to sit and look through a friend's library of old RQ stuff and I can see the progression to what it has become today. Once that happened, the light came on so to speak and I was left awed at how massive an accomplishment this is. Pete and Lawrence seem to make it look like a piece of cake, but really there is a lot of work and passion involved in producing a work like Mythras. The quality of the work is also reflected in the layout and design of the book itself. If you compare this work to modern D100 games - no offense, it's just an observation - you can see the difference in the elegance of the writing, the layout, the font choices, the artwork, the amazing cover artwork, the logos, and even the system itself. Other games seem clunky to me now that I'm getting the hang of this amazing game. And, I have to admit it, at first I was put off by all of the material for Glorantha, but now that I've taken the time to peruse with an open mind, it too has become something I would like to be a part of. I've already asked around about how to start a campaign using Mythras in Glorantha and I have come across a very interesting supplement I get to borrow - Dorastor Land of Doom, which I plan to convert and run once I get that done. I just wanted to put this out there one more time. Mythras gets better with time and I think it just evolves on it's own. I keep running into gamers that are enthralled with 5E, and I just can't share their enthusiasm. I have limited time and I'd rather play more Mythras. I don't get tired of spreading the word and getting people interested in Mythras. I apologize for the lengthy rant, just my thoughts on how this game keeps putting down roots in my gaming life (what little there is of it - lol!) :ugeek:
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Re: Mythras vs. Other D100 games

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:01 am

Thank you for your kind words. As you have grown to realise, an awful lot of work went into Mythras (and its evolution from earlier versions), from mechanical design in an attempt to solve problems inherent to d100 games, through to what kind of tone and setting the core rules should support. We cannot claim all the credit for ourselves however. Many of the rules changes, new mechanics, and even our writing style were inspired by existing concepts or at the suggestion of multiple groups of deliberately selected playtesters, chosen for diversity - their names forever immortalised on the credits page of the core rules. The one major skill Loz and I brought to the process, was to be able to take all of the ideas and from them create a functional, unified system.

Your post illustrates one of the strengths of Mythras, which is simultaneously its weakness. The more you use the system, the smoother and faster it becomes. Sadly, we miss out on many converts due to players being overwhelmed by combat. I have heard that many groups give up on the game after only a couple of sessions of play, whilst those that persevere find that it becomes as comfortable as an old glove... Smooth, fun and exciting to boot!

Once again, thank you for your enthusiasm, it all helps. We have seen a slow and steady spread of support for Mythras across the net, and the Design Mechanism now has a reputation for quality. It is posts like this which raise awareness of the game and help groups give it a second chance to see what they might have overlooked before.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby rust » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:29 am

umbraldragon wrote:Lately, I've had a chance to take a breather and look at some other D100 games, some unique systems as well. No matter how complicated they say their games are or how innovative and "new," I still keep coming to the same conclusion. I like Mythras better.

The same here, and since Luther Arkwright and Mythras Imperative have made Mythras suitable for non-fantasy settings, too, I have begun to convert all of my settings from various other d100 systems to Mythras. :)
rust

Postby loz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:36 am

My thanks too, Umbraldragon. That's a really nice testimony, and we really do appreciate you taking the time to post your feelings and thoughts.

Might I ask something or make a suiggestion? Could you perhaps copy the post to BRP Central, RPGnet and other forums where there's discussion of Mythras? This will help others who are looking at different d100 systems who don't frequent the Design Mechanism forum, and it's especially useful right now, as we're preparing to release Mythras in a few weeks.

As Pete says, we can't take credit for all the innovations in Mythras; much of what we've done is refine things that had already been developed by others, or to bring a different perspective to some clunky mechanics that, with the right tweaking, could be made into something really special. I still say that while MRQ1 is viewed as something of a pariah in d100's history, it actually introduced some very good, solid, common sense elements that just needed the right execution to make them shine. We built on those, introduced things we'd already been working on for BRP (the magic systems for example, were originally developed for Gwenthia using the BRP mechanics - not MRQ), or designed things to bring a truly unique flavour to old staples - and the combat system is a very good example of that.

Anyhow, thank you once again, and please spread you support far and wide. We want Mythras to be the rule system of choice, and not just for d100 gaming, either!
loz

Postby Matt_E » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:03 am

Without regurgitating too much, I agree: When I look at other d100 stuff, I always end up thinking that Mythras is better and more polished.

Call of Cthulhu is not so bad, considering that IMO it is more of a rules-light game, with much less emphasis on combat. I don't like the most recent incarnation of those rules, though, with percentage scores for abilities (!). But I digress.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby rust » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Matt_E wrote:Call of Cthulhu is not so bad, considering that IMO it is more of a rules-light game, with much less emphasis on combat.

Call of Cthulhu is indeed not bad, but while searching for a suitable d100 system for some of my non-fantasy settings I had to realize that Call of Cthulhu's skill set and many of its rules support only a rather narrow implied setting well and would require major modifications for other types of settings. Mythras Imperative, on the other hand, turned out to be actually far more generic, in the sense that I can use it for different types of settings with only rather minor modifications. In other words, my impression is that the Call of Cthulhu system is really only useful for the specific Call of Cthulhu setting, while Mythras can handle a lot more and more varied settings - and do it better.
rust

Postby Matt_E » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:39 pm

rust wrote:
Matt_E wrote:Call of Cthulhu is not so bad, considering that IMO it is more of a rules-light game, with much less emphasis on combat.

Call of Cthulhu is indeed not bad, but while searching for a suitable d100 system for some of my non-fantasy settings I had to realize that Call of Cthulhu's skill set and many of its rules support only a rather narrow implied setting well and would require major modifications for other types of settings. Mythras Imperative, on the other hand, turned out to be actually far more generic, in the sense that I can use it for different types of settings with only rather minor modifications. In other words, my impression is that the Call of Cthulhu system is really only useful for the specific Call of Cthulhu setting, while Mythras can handle a lot more and more varied settings - and do it better.

Yes, I completely agree. The very reason CoC's rules are good is because they strike just the right level of detail, for their particular setting. They are not generic enough for another game--nor were they meant to be, I am sure. They are purpose-built. Mythras is much more easily extensible.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby soltakss » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:57 am

I am not sure if I should be posting this here, but you might want to cool down the thread at RPG.net (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?78 ... D100-games) as it does not paint a good picture of discussions of Mythras.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby loz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:16 am

soltakss wrote:I am not sure if I should be posting this here, but you might want to cool down the thread at RPG.net (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?78 ... D100-games) as it does not paint a good picture of discussions of Mythras.

Thanks for the heads up Simon.
loz

Postby Icefield » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Like a few others stated, I am using Mythras for all games no matter which genre.
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences