Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras PDF Revision 2 Now Available

Re: Mythras PDF Revision 2 Now Available

Postby Lucius Panderius » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 am

Got it.
My bag was empty as well.
So, as Matt did I checked my order confirmation email too.
Thanks Matt_E.
Lucius Panderius

Postby Matt_E » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Glad to be of help.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Tathas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 am

I just happened to notice that Revision 2 of Mythras has lowered the points build pool from the 80 points that has been the standard for Mythras 1st printing, RQ6, Legend, and probably Mongoose RuneQuest II, to the 75 that Mythras Imperative had. This also differs from Mythras Gateway products. M-SPACE just came out and has the 80 pool.

I would have thought something like this would deserve being called out. Not to beat a dead horse, but in the thread of differences between Mythras and Mythras Imperative, the difference in point buy pool was a decent concern. And here, again, people building characters with different versions of the full rules will have somewhat different strength characters. I know you're likely to say "Just go with 80 if you don't like it" again, but that begs the question of why alter it in the first place? The GM could already say, "Point buy is 75 for this game" if they wanted to house rule it. Now you need to have a house rule for what amounts to basic character building, just to make sure everyone's on the same page.
Tathas

Postby skoll » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 am

Tathas wrote:I would have thought something like this would deserve being called out. Not to beat a dead horse, but in the thread of differences between Mythras and Mythras Imperative, the difference in point buy pool was a decent concern. And here, again, people building characters with different versions of the full rules will have somewhat different strength characters. I know you're likely to say "Just go with 80 if you don't like it" again, but that begs the question of why alter it in the first place? The GM could already say, "Point buy is 75 for this game" if they wanted to house rule it. Now you need to have a house rule for what amounts to basic character building, just to make sure everyone's on the same page.
The way I see it, character creation rules are always campaign-specific and subject to GM ruling. Obviously the rulebook needs to suggest some baselines (and for whatever reasons TDM decided, that 75 is better than 80), but in the end it's always up to the GM to decide on the specifics of the rules. Each campaign is different, and I don't think there is such a thing as "default character creation rules". The options listed in the RAW are just suggestions. At least that's how I see it.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby Tathas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am

So GM says "Make a character according to the rules in the book. Here's the combat styles available, get back to me if you make a char with magic." I don't want to have to ask for confirmation of the first three chapters, just to make sure.

I don't necessarily mind it being altered, although it'll make point builds even more of a min-max affair with 13's and 7's. My complaint is that it was altered from v1 without being called out even after there was prior discussion on confusion issues caused by the 75 v 80 of MI vs RQ6/Mythras.
Tathas

Postby ThornPlutonius » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:35 pm

The way the TDM shop web page is colored makes it VERY difficult to see the tabs to the downloads. Even though I know about the problem, if I have not downloaded for awhile, I get frustrated at not being able to find them...fumble around trying to find them...then remember. If the site is ever updated, colors with a better contrast will be a great help.
ThornPlutonius

Postby loz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 pm

ThornPlutonius wrote:The way the TDM shop web page is colored makes it VERY difficult to see the tabs to the downloads. Even though I know about the problem, if I have not downloaded for awhile, I get frustrated at not being able to find them...fumble around trying to find them...then remember. If the site is ever updated, colors with a better contrast will be a great help.

We share the angst. We've fiddled with the colour settings several times to try an improve things, and they are better than they were. We'll keep looking at ways to improve the usability.
loz

Postby simonb1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:48 am

Hi all,

Apologies from me for not bringing this up earlier.

I noticed that the Bonus Skill Points for the example character is not in the PDF.

My suggestion is to post the complete example on the website as a free download with the character sheet, and a comment on an early page linking to the complete example.

Simon B
simonb1

Postby Matt_E » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm

I agree with simonb1: A standalone, freebie PDF with a worked example (or three) of character creation probably would be both helpful to many, and lower the barrier for people to buy Mythras. :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Previous

Return to Mythras