Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras News, Summer 2016

Mythras News, Summer 2016

Postby loz » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:26 pm

On Monday, our time as custodians of the RuneQuest license formally draws to a close. We've felt honoured and privileged to have had the opportunity to work so closely with such an iconic brand, but all things change, and so we transition from RuneQuest to Mythras. We do, of course, wish our friends at Moon Design and Chaosium every success for the next edition of RQ and we look forward to seeing the results of the game returning to Glorantha.

Our arrangement with Moon Design allows us 6 months to dispose of all remaining RQ6 stocks, and fortunately we only have a handful of the RQ6 hardbacks left in stock, so this won't be a major issue. We'll leave them on sale until we either exhaust stocks completely or the 6 months come to a close. All our supplements remain on sale and can do so for up to five years, although we are rebranding all our PDFs will be most likely rebrand the physical stock with the Mythras logo.

As for Mythras itself, we will be releasing the game in hard copy and PDF most likely in mid-August. We want to ensure that the print process is well underway before opening for preorders - a slight change in our usual procedure. It means that people will get their copies quicker after making payment. It also means that we can release Mythras and Mythic Rome together (or very close together), alongside another product that been our Super Secret project, and will be given its own announcement in due course. We will release a preview of Mythras, so you can see the new layout (and if you have Imperative, you know what to expect already). One thing that we can tell you is that Mythras is 304 pages - a good 34% smaller than RQ6, but with no loss of content (in fact, we've added more). It will also be cheaper - probably around $40. For the new content you can expect:

[list=]Some new art pieces (courtesy of our friends at Runa Digital in Spain)
Reorganized and expanded Animism rules, including Special Effects for Spirit Combat
Additional Special Effects, including firearms SEs and a couple of brand new ones developed for Mythras.[/list]

We're looking forward to getting this book out there.

Another piece of extremely good news is our partnership with Aeon Games Publishing. Aeon is based in the UK and is our fully licensed production and distribution partner for the UK and Europe. If you're outside North America you will be able to order all our books from Aeon Games Publishing directly, and receive them quicker and at much reduced shipping than from our US warehouse. As the company's CEO, Oliver Rathbone says: "Aeon Games Publishing is committed to new and innovative role playing games. Our team of dedicated gamers runs the gamut from old school to cutting edge. We are proud that our first publications combine the two in the Design Mechanism's Mythras Ruleset which takes the best of the classic Runequest rules and brings them into the forefront of modern gaming. Please see our website at www.aeongamespublishing.co.uk for more details and forthcoming publications." The website goes live early next week.

So it's farewell to RuneQuest 6, but Well Met to Mythras. This is an exciting time in The Design Mechanism's evolution and we continue to be indebted to all our fans and customers for their support, encouragement and enthusiasm.

Loz and Pete
loz

Re: Mythras News, Summer 2016

Postby Lucius Panderius » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi to you both.
End of an era indeed.
I look forward to the release of Mythras and Mythic Rome.
A question in regards to Mythic Rome if thats ok?
Will that be for the republic or is there scope to set a game in the empire?
I mean like set a game in Britain where Hadrian's Wall is being built and the Picts are objecting or a bit later where PC's could be agents of the empire circa 300AD and trying to stop the Long Night?
Barbarian invasions and the end of Roman style civilisation.
Anyway, you have my support such as it is.
Feliciter velim
Lucius Panderius

Postby ThornPlutonius » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Thank you for your efforts to maintain and advance Runequest. I think the new name will bring a freedom from certain expectations (baggage?) that the Runequest brand carries with it. I feel very good about this change and look forward to seeing and using what comes next.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Baulderstone » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Lucius Panderius wrote:Hi to you both.
End of an era indeed.
I look forward to the release of Mythras and Mythic Rome.
A question in regards to Mythic Rome if thats ok?
Will that be for the republic or is there scope to set a game in the empire?
I mean like set a game in Britain where Hadrian's Wall is being built and the Picts are objecting or a bit later where PC's could be agents of the empire circa 300AD and trying to stop the Long Night?
Barbarian invasions and the end of Roman style civilisation.
Anyway, you have my support such as it is.
Feliciter velim

I have the BRP version, and it is firmly focused on the Republic. It's a good enough book that even if the Republic isn't of immediate interest, I expect reading it will make you interest in running a game in that era.
Baulderstone

Postby Belgath » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:12 am

Man I am excited for the new book but this time I will try to keep it to two Coppys of each. Though my family and friends have appreciated many copies of RQ6 I have given out. The best part about Loz and Pete work is everybody that I have ever gotten to sit down and play has been hooked. You know a rule system is good when it's able to sell it self. Thanks for all the hard work and love you have put into your RPG.
Belgath

Postby hkokko » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:53 am

End of an era indeed - such ambivalent feelings about the things affecting the game and world I love.

I will be here - where's the order form for Mythras and Mythras Rome plus the super secret thingie... I feel extremely good that the brilliant work by Loz and Pete continues.

I think a quote by Marcus Aurelius feels appropriate today: "If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

--h
hkokko

Postby Runeblogger » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:33 am

Hi Loz,
Would you mind if I translated your post into Spanish in my runeblog?
Runeblogger

Postby Pete » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:35 am

Runeblogger wrote:Hi Loz,
Would you mind if I translated your post into Spanish in my runeblog?

Go ahead. We're fine with that.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby raleel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:31 am

I have been extremely happy with your products and intend on continuing to buy them.

What has impressed me more is your extreme professionalism and excellent communication. This has obviously been difficult and your behavior is an exemplar for any company
raleel

Postby Gloranphile » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:26 am

All this news is bittersweet (even though we've all known for a while). After returning to the RPG world after a hiatus and finding RQ6, my love for the system has only increased over time. Pete and Loz have done a fantastic job with the system mechanics, and every supplement has been excellent. I never thought I'd be interested in sci-fi stuff like Arkwright, but picking up the PDF on a whim has proved otherwise.

Perhaps all this has been for the best -- my interest in Glorantha is waning with all the other good stuff out there and all the upcoming TDM stuff. I'm excited and looking forward to more excellent supplements and offerings from TDM -- keep up the great work guys!
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Next

Return to Mythras