Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythras Core Book Rule Questions

Re: Mythras Core Book Rule Questions

Postby gran_orco » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Pete wrote:
gran_orco wrote:One question about spirits. When I spend one experience roll to "upgrade" a fetish, do you mean the "amulet/object" or the spirit, too?

Just the binding itself.

I am a little puzzled. What does this mean, then?
The creation of a binding costs one Experience Roll per point of Intensity of the spirit. This represents the time and development needed to prepare the item, location or creature in which the spirit will be held. The ritual usually takes one week, at the end of which the animist should roll the spirit’s Characteristics randomly, based on its Intensity. It is always possible that the spirit gained may be too powerful for the animist to control.

If the cost is only for the binding, why do you roll the Spirit's characteristics?
gran_orco

Postby Pete » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:26 am

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Upgrading a binding means only that you increase the maximum possible Intensity it can technically contain. It doesn't automatically change the spirit (currently bound within it) too. "Replacing" the spirit held in the binding costs no Experience Rolls, although the GM may wish to make the PC play out the locating and summoning of it.

You roll for a spirit's characteristics because the rolled POW may take it beyond the PC's ability to control (as described under the Binding skill on p131).

Is that any clearer?
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby gran_orco » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:50 pm

I thought that you should "include" a spirit in the fetish creating process. But you must create the fetish first, and later you can capture a spirit to inhabit the fetish. If the process to capture a spirit is abstract (without spending additional experience rolls), I didn' t understand why you should roll the spirit's characteristics in that precise moment.
gran_orco

Postby Psychman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:14 am

The acquiring of a spirit of appropriate intensity for a binding can either be abstract or played out. But either way, if a spirit magician is "maxing out" their binding to it can hold the strongest spirit they can manage, it is entirely possible that the spirit's POW may be higher than the magician can control, as Pete said.

So if you are treating the acquisition of an upgraded spirit as abstract then creating the spirit (rolling its stats) would seem to be entirely appropriate, even if your GM agrees to rerolling until the POW is low enough for your character to handle.
Psychman

Postby Moldof » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm going through the process of character creation and have hit a snag with the culture bonus skills gain. The wording seems to say that cultures give a bonus to certain skills. I can't find where it says what this bonus is, however.

...edited...

And I just figured it out. Or so I think. The skills listed aren't given an inherent bonus but rather the skills you can apply the 100 skill points to. Right?
Moldof

Postby Rubrum » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Moldof wrote:And I just figured it out. Or so I think. The skills listed aren't given an inherent bonus but rather the skills you can apply the 100 skill points to. Right?

Yes. You will hit the same concept for the career. Basically, being part of a particular culture allows you to increase only a particular set of skills related to that culture during the "culture" part of character creation... Then you can add more points to your character during the "career" phase, but only to those skills pertaining to the career your chose.
Rubrum

Postby Bilharzia » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Moldof wrote:I'm going through the process of character creation and have hit a snag with the culture bonus skills gain. The wording seems to say that cultures give a bonus to certain skills. I can't find where it says what this bonus is, however.

...edited...

And I just figured it out. Or so I think. The skills listed aren't given an inherent bonus but rather the skills you can apply the 100 skill points to. Right?

(you're correct). If you have MS Excel you might find this spreadsheet useful: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B89K_ ... WE5ekFoSEk
It will keep track of "legal" spending of points according to age, amongst other things - it includes weapon stats, base percentage calcs, and the backgrounds. It relies on macros so AFAIK it will only work with Excel. It's extremely useful for building and tweaking characters.
Bilharzia

Postby Moldof » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 am

Awesome and thanks to both you.
Moldof

Postby Moldof » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:40 am

On page 8, under the point build section, it says that characteristics can't be below the minimum or above the maximum. I haven't been able to find where it listed the minimum and maximum for the characteristics. Does anyone know where that its? Thanks.
Moldof

Postby smjn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

Moldof wrote:On page 8, under the point build section, it says that characteristics can't be below the minimum or above the maximum. I haven't been able to find where it listed the minimum and maximum for the characteristics. Does anyone know where that its? Thanks.
I don't have Mythras core book yet, but minimum and maximum stats probably aren't explicitly listed anywhere. You have to figure it from the dice range. For humans minimum INT and SIZ is 8 (1+1+6) and for other characteristics 3 (1+1+1). Maximum is 18 (6+6+6).
smjn

PreviousNext

Return to Mythras