Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic, umm, shhhh

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Mythic, umm, shhhh

Postby CRKrueger » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:50 pm

You guys know literally half of Howard's works about some Cimmerian guy are in the public domain, right? :D
CRKrueger

Re: Mythic, umm, shhhh

Postby Pete » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:21 am

Yes, we are aware. However, we're also aware that any subsequent legal wrangling with Paradox Entertainment could bankrupt us in a blink of an eye. In addition we'd upset Modiphius which is the last thing we want to do.

I personally have nothing against anyone writing a Mythras hack of some Cimmerian guy and his world, but as the Design Mechanism we cannot give it official support.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby TrippyHippy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:46 am

Could you get the license for Thrud the Barbarian, of old White Dwarf fame?

Oh, and how about Elric......
TrippyHippy

Postby Druss the Axe » Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 am

Druss the Role Playing Game
Druss the Axe

Postby Mankcam » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 am

Book Of Quests was very much like a Conan style campaign setting, it wouldn't take much for someone to retrap it for such.
If TDM had time to officially expand that setting it could easily be a stand in for a Hyborian Age style game, without stepping on any other publishers toes.
Perhaps something like that could be farmed out to another author or licencee whilst TDM focus on their Mythic line
Mankcam

Postby Matt_E » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:20 am

Book Of Quests was very much like a Conan style campaign setting, it wouldn't take much for someone to retrap it for such.

Really? Odd. I never thought of it that way. Although it features an evil sorcerer, fine, it seems too...small for a Hyperborean game, to me. The thing that always struck me about the Conan tales was the cultural diversity that came across (though through a racist lens, sadly). The world seemed very wide and full of different peoples, languages, garb, and customs (which is no mean feat, considering how Conan-centric the stories are).

While I like the Realm setting, and it accomplishes a lot in its few pages of exposition, I just do not get the same vibe. Although the other cultures (Nomad and Barbarian) are present, a lone Civilized culture (with a little variation on one edge) dominates--which is reasonable, considering the scale and scope of the setting. The "outsider" cultures are there to be developed (and I have tried to touch on that in my own work), but they are just that, and thus nowhere near equal to Vale culture in representation, as I see it. C'est la vie. Loz and Pete were not trying to create that sort of setting, I suppose--and maybe nobody could, anyway, in so few pages.

...So, no, I just don't get that feeling from BOQ, but that's just one guy's $0.02. I offer it for balance, in case anyone is thinking to spend hard-earned dollars on BOQ, believing it will be quite like Hyperborea.

Personally, I would instead consider simply using the new Conan RPG. The quickstart file and scenario look very nice. For die-hard Mythras fans like me, though, it might make sense to convert those 2D20 materials; aside from stats, it would be fairly easy to port everything over, I think. I have been contemplating that already, for their free "Black River" scenario.

Edit: Link to prior thread on that new Conan game viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1463
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Vile » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:39 am

TrippyHippy wrote:Could you get the license for Thrud the Barbarian, of old White Dwarf fame?

Oh, and how about Elric......

Go the whole hog and shoot for Erryj and his runecarved artificial leg Slugbane! :D
Vile

Postby Thalaba » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:32 am

I agree with Matt E that Book of Quests doesn't really capture Conan - it has a sort of S&S vibe, but also has a generic vibe. I think that Monster Island actually does the spirit of Conan better. As for Hyboria, if you extracted everything Howard wrote about Hyboria from all of his Conan tales and notes you'd find it skin deep as a setting. This is good news for people who want to play in that setting because it would be easy to re-skin anything to Hyboria and remain true to Howard. Anyone writing a Conan game is going to have to invent a lot of material to fill in the blanks.

I watched the playtest for the new Conan game, and I have to say that pushing minis around a battlemat for over an hour to settle a combat is about as far from the spirit of Conan as I can imagine, so I gave that one a miss.
The 13th Forrior