Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic, umm, shhhh

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Re: Mythic, umm, shhhh

Postby loz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Bilharzia wrote:The vibe from BoQ seemed a lot more Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser than Howard's Conan, both S&S of different flavours. Monster Island though feels firmly and definitely in a Conan/Zothique wilderness.

Which was deliberate on our part. BoQ and Monster Island were being written at the same time. We wanted to reflect the different flavours of S&S in these books.
loz

Postby Matt_E » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Thalaba wrote:As for Hyboria, if you extracted everything Howard wrote...

Argh, my bad. I always confuse those names "Hyboria" and "Hyperborea". :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby daniel_ream » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

What about Morten Braten's Xoth.net setting? That's as Conanesque as they come, and there's already a Legend version. A cleaned-up Mythras version with proper integration with the magic systems would do it.
"The gods envy us. They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again."
daniel_ream

Postby nclarke » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:25 am

Sorry but the Legend version just didn't do justice to a great D20 setting and has still too much of a D20 hack and hack adventure style to it. Much better to start with something fresh and not drag D20 baggage into the light of day. Even reading some Conan and doing it yourself would be better.
nclarke

Postby raleel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:58 am

I disagree on that. Ran a bunch of spider gods bride converted from legend to runequest and frankly I felt it was dead easy and one of my better campaigns. It really god the feel right. I was quite happy with it.
raleel

Postby daniel_ream » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 am

How much Legend -> RQ conversion did you need to do? My copies are in the mail and I'm wondering how much work there is to do.
"The gods envy us. They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again."
daniel_ream

Postby raleel » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:40 am

Very little. If I remember correctly, a couple of defense names and that was it. It was obvious from the reading that is how it went. The magic just went straight across (name matched to name) and I just ignored what legend said for the magic and went with Runequest. They were so close anyways.
raleel

Postby Atlatl Jones » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Most of the changes from Legend to RQ6 are "behind the scenes," rules about how the games work, not in how characters and monstera are presented. The stat blocks are simple to convert. A couple skill names are different, and IIRC some of the sorcery and divine spells are different, but it's close enough to run straight out of a Legend book without doing conversion in advance.
Atlatl Jones

Postby Icefield » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:23 pm

I wonder if another famous barbaric fellow has had his rights similarly wrangled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqjS_IvLpg
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

Previous

Return to Products and Releases