Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic Rome Supplimental?

Re: Mythic Rome Supplimental?

Postby Jefferiot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 am

soltakss wrote:Most people in the Roman Empire at its height had never been to Rome, yet many identified as Roman.

Matt_E wrote:Yeah, I think we modern folks don't necessarily get the whole city-state mindset, never mind city-state-as-empire.

Romantic foreigners is a Hollywood trope.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:03 pm

soltakss wrote:Most people in the Roman Empire at its height had never been to Rome, yet many identified as Roman

From 212 AD they technically were Roman - the universal grant of citizenship to all free men of the Empire happened then. The Empire as it was had changed a lot. The distinction between citizen and non-citizen had been overtaken by the distinction between the rich (honestories) and the poor (humiliores). This was increasingly recognised in law and passed on into medieval law codes forming the basis of different legal status between commoners and nobility. Meanwhile the importance of Rome as the capital was also now diminishing - so much so that little more than 100 years later Constantine could move it to Byzantium/Constantinople.
Simulacrum

Postby nDervish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:08 am

Matt_E wrote:Yeah, I think we modern folks don't necessarily get the whole city-state mindset, never mind city-state-as-empire.

I've been doing some setting construction lately which has brought this heavily to mind. Can you recommend any good sources for information about the city-state mindset?
nDervish

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:38 am

nDervish wrote:
I've been doing some setting construction lately which has brought this heavily to mind. Can you recommend any good sources for information about the city-state mindset?

It's a major theme in Shores of Korantia - where there's a lot of material on city states, city cults etc. And it's all at least inspired by real world city state structures from classical antiquity. Then of course there's Pete's Mythic Rome.
Simulacrum

Postby Matt_E » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 am

nDervish wrote:

Hmm...back to the source? Cicero? Surviving pieces by everyday citizens? Maybe medieval writings from Italy, instead? Simulacrum's suggestions sound more attainable. ;-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby golem64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Take a look at Plutarch's Lives for Roman biographies from the Second Century AD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Lives
golem64

Postby Simulacrum » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 am

nDervish wrote:I've been doing some setting construction lately which has brought this heavily to mind. Can you recommend any good sources for information about the city-state mindset?

I've done a little chart to give some rough guidelines on how city states at different stages of development or complexity might work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-xSM3ytkr6KUE4xTkUxUVlSMTQ/view?usp=sharing

I've artificially split into three types or stages:

Archaic - smaller and simpler city states roughly what you might get from when a city is first founded, loosely relating to cities in Greece or Italy prior to 500 BC
Classical - a more developed and formally organised city state system. Loosely relating to Greece and Italy 500-200 BC
Imperial - for those city states that get really big and successful and conquer or dominate others. Late Republican/Early Imperial Rome, Carthage are examples of the model

These are rough guides, and no one historical (or fantasy!) city will conform to all the criteria. Some people may debate some of the generalisations, but they'll put you in the right mindset. None of this is readily transferable or relevant to cities or city states at other times - it doesn't cover the Bronze Age, for example Mycenaean kingdoms or early city states in Mesopotamia, nor pre-Columboan Mesoamerican.
Simulacrum

Postby golem64 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
nDervish wrote:I've been doing some setting construction lately which has brought this heavily to mind. Can you recommend any good sources for information about the city-state mindset?

I've done a little chart to give some rough guidelines on how city states at different stages of development or complexity might work.

Thanks, Simulacrum. That is very useful. You could mix and match your ideas to give each city state or region its own flavour.
golem64

Postby nDervish » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 am

Simulacrum wrote:

Thanks! That's a good reference for how things work at the various stages of development and very useful to me, but when I asked about "the city-state mindset", I actually meant more on the lines of how the people thought about what they did and why they did them that way, rather than just what they did.

Simulacrum wrote:It's a major theme in Shores of Korantia - where there's a lot of material on city states, city cults etc. And it's all at least inspired by real world city state structures from classical antiquity.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've picked up the PDF and will be looking at it soonish. Should be good to see how the city-states relate to one another in a setting where there are several of them, as opposed to the setting being dominated by a single Rome.

Simulacrum wrote:Then of course there's Pete's Mythic Rome.

It's been a couple months since I went through Mythic Rome, but I remember it also, for the most part, focusing on the what rather than the why.
nDervish

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 am

nDervish wrote:I actually meant more on the lines of how the people thought about what they did and why they did them that way, rather than just what they did.

OK - what do you mean by that, exactly?
Simulacrum

PreviousNext

Return to Supplements