Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic Rome Errata

Re: Mythic Rome Errata

Postby groovyclam » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 pm

loz wrote:However, as stated - politely and with a little humour -

The point being Loz there was NO obvious humour in your post and, if you meant it to be, then it failed to come across completely on this side of your keyboard.

To me it was negative, critical and insulting "if you feel compelled to highlight spelling and punctuation fubars" - as if it is beneath you to acknowledge they exist, and we are being hypercritical proof-nerds for noticing them.

I'm done. Delete my account.
Last edited by groovyclam on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
groovyclam

Postby ThornPlutonius » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:56 pm

groovyclam wrote:
loz wrote:However, as stated - politely and with a little humour -

The point being Loz there was NO obvious humour in your post and, if you meant it to be, then it failed to come across completely on this side of your keyboard.

To me ( and I'm guessing forum member ThornPlutonius ) it was negative, critical and insulting "if you feel compelled to highlight spelling and punctuation fubars" - as if it is beneath you to acknowledge they exist, and we are being hypercritical proof-nerds for noticing them.

I'm done. Delete my account.

I wasn't insulted, just disappointed. I saw humor in loz's post. I will continue to support The Design Mechanism.

Pax.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Pete » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:37 pm

ThornPlutonius wrote:I am, at this time, more qualified to help with the errors that I posted. Frankly, if these bits slipped through your proof reading process, I find myself questioning the abilities of, or the attention that was paid by, the proof readers.

From its initial submission so many years ago Rome has, thus far, been through at least four separate rounds of editorials and proofing, each one performed by different people. The fact that errors still slip through should not be a surprise considering that there are no perfect editors, nor can any proof reader pick up on every error in a work of this size. Considering how many eyes have read it so far, I am personally very pleased that so few errors have thus far been discovered.

I am sorry that you are not more interested in making this document the best that it can be now.

Please accept my deepest apologies. I really do want folks to help pick up on the last few bugs in the pdf before it is submitted for printing, I wouldn't have posted my request on the forum if I didn't. Unfortunately, Loz became irked by the submission of subjective corrections and suggestions, rather than what we need - i.e. actual spelling mistakes, layout errors or rules flaws. Writing style by its very nature is idiosyncratic and thus can be subjectively wrong to some readers, breaking grammatical conventions they are more used to.

This is a serious problem Loz and I face when hiring editors. They each have their own particular rules about what is correct, which spelling should be utilised, the use of commas and so on. There's nothing worse than sending a laid out manuscript for a follow-up editorial or proofing, to a secondary editor with significantly different tastes. In fact professional editors often introduce errors... as our time at Mongoose showed us. For a book like Mythic Rome which contains quotes which sometimes come from 19th C translations of Latin works, I actively have to tell them to leave anything in a quote box alone - which I think causes them physical pain. ;)

So if any of you have found a real error as noted above, then please feel free to post it here. If you want to critique the grammar, punctuation, Latin translations and the like, then do as Loz asked and place it in a document that can be sent privately. It will prevent serious errors being obfuscated here, and we'll take a look at your suggestions at the end of the week to see which ones we'd like to introduce.

Fair enough?
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby ThornPlutonius » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Fair enough.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Lucius Panderius » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:58 am

I have an omission I think.
In the contents page The Army During the Late Republic page 97 is missing from the Contents.
Is that what you are looking for?
:)
Lucius Panderius

Postby loz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:58 am

Lucius Panderius wrote:I have an omission I think.
In the contents page The Army During the Late Republic page 97 is missing from the Contents.
Is that what you are looking for?
:)

Yes - many thanks!
loz

Postby Lucius Panderius » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:18 am

Hi,
Page 169 Civic Order Last paragraph starts with Games MasterGames Masters are encouraged...
Lucius Panderius

Postby Rel Fexive » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:40 am

So is one and all to assume that the minimal amount of errata has been addressed and the file has been sent on to the printers? Has the PDF been updated with these corrections?

*is a little eager for another book to read*
Rel Fexive

Postby hkokko » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 pm

Looking at the legionary fighting styles on page 99. It says "Press Home" as a trait. I cannot find in any of the design mechanism pdf's where "Press Home" is defined. I might have an old version of these maybe. Where is "press home" defined and if not then what is the meaning of the combat style trait
hkokko

Postby Pete » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:56 am

Its on page 89 of Mythic Rome Hannu, along with a several other tweaked combat styles. ;)
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

PreviousNext

Return to Supplements