Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic Rome Errata

Re: Mythic Rome Errata

Postby ThornPlutonius » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am

[removed by poster since this is not the place for this, according to management]
Last edited by ThornPlutonius on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThornPlutonius

Postby loz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:22 am

I'm going to chime in here...

Everyone's efforts in pointing out small typos and perceived punctuation changes are appreciated, but I'm going to ask that comments be reserved for genuine errata: that is glaring mistakes in the formatting, text and rules; not opinions regarding punctuation, which vary from one person to another, and whether or not one believes Oxford commas are the work of the Devil or Communists (as you can see, I'm a great fan of Oxford commas. Cambridge ones, not so much, and the less said about Durham commas the better). The book has been through significant editing and two rounds of proofing. The odd typo will slip through; but they honestly don't need to be called out here. Substantial errata though, should definitely be highlighted.

If people do feel compelled to highlight spelling and punctuation fubars, it is better to list them in a single document and email them to us. That way when we come to reprint, we have a single source to refer to, rather than individual posts to go through.
loz

Postby raleel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:30 am

Oxford comma master race represent! ;)
raleel

Postby groovyclam » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:29 am

[quote="loz"]I'm going to chime in here...
If people do feel compelled to highlight spelling and punctuation fubars, it is better to list them in a single document and email them to us. That way when we come to reprint, we have a single source to refer to, rather than individual posts to go through.

Loz, I think you are doing yourself and the fans of your products a diservice.

The thread asked for errata - we ( the fans who are doing these posts for no other reason that we were asked if we could spot mistakes ) are doing what was asked for no reward and in our own time. Now you are telling us to make some sort of distinction that we have no idea what to measure up against or not before we post.

And using language like "if people feel compelled to highlight spelling and punctuation fubars" is just being a ****. We were asked for errors - we posted errors. We weren't told not to post typos.

And now, if we feel compelled to post typos we have to put them all in one email and send it ( probably after the deadline ).

How about we just keep posting what we think is an error and TDM read the thread and fix what they think needs fixing or not ?

Or else just lock the thread.

P.S. I now have lost all incentive to read the PDF before the deadine.
groovyclam

Postby Mabon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:01 pm

It's a great book and I haven't spotted any major errors, great work guys
Mabon

Postby Belgath » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:11 pm

Ok I feel stupid because I have no idea what Oxford comma is.
Belgath

Postby loz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:17 pm

I have no intention of locking the thread.

However, as stated - politely and with a little humour - unless punctuation is clearly a glaring error and likely to mess with the layout and interpretation of the rules or text, it helps us to have such instances in one place. There are degrees of errors and errata; some deserve immediate attention, some do not. Some are subjective opinions. We do appreciate the work you guys put into this, but we also want to manage the weight of expectations and the workload we have to undertake.

But calling me a **** is very rude and NOT called for. I don't tolerate that sort of thing in any posts.
loz

Postby loz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Belgath wrote:Ok I feel stupid because I have no idea what Oxford comma is.

No need to feel stupid at all! An Oxford comma is an instance where a comma precedes the word 'and' or 'or' in a sentence. Opinions as to its validity vary; some love them, some loathe them. They actually can be very useful when used appropriately.

A Cambridge comma, on the other hand, is like an Oxford comma but comes from the other side of the country...
loz

Postby raleel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:00 pm

Belgath wrote:Ok I feel stupid because I have no idea what Oxford comma is.

No need to feel stupid at all.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/oxford-comma will give you a guide. In short, it is what is right and proper in English, unlike those other commas or the utter lack there of.
raleel

Postby ThornPlutonius » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I will refrain from contributing further to the improvement of this document. I am, at this time, more qualified to help with the errors that I posted. Frankly, if these bits slipped through your proof reading process, I find myself questioning the abilities of, or the attention that was paid by, the proof readers. I mean no offense to anyone. I am just disappointed. I am sorry that you are not more interested in making this document the best that it can be now.

I look forward to finishing reading it for content and using it sometime in the future, probably for a Cthulhu Invictus campaign.

Pax.
ThornPlutonius

PreviousNext

Return to Supplements