Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic Greece

Re: Mythic Greece

Postby loz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 am

Bilharzia wrote:Although I love Harryhausen and I'm also one of the old guys, It's not all great. If you look at the "Jason and the Argonauts" Hydra scene, which comes before the famous skeleton fight, it's notable how flat it is, I can't help thinking this is an instance where properly done CGI would have made a difference. As it is this scene falls very flat (check it out - it's terrible! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-dkIuIaz8), partly because it's just a build up to the skellies themselves, and it's deliberately not that exciting. The stop-motion technique tended to be very stagey, which works great for some scenes but not so great for others especially when you want to move the camera around. I think this is why modern special effects scenes are obsessed with swinging the camera around as much as possible simply because they can, in doing so they lose part of the appeal - which is taking a wider and slower view and letting the actors (and puppets) do their thing.

I agree on the hydra scene. That said, of the stop-motion scenes, for one to fall flat out of so many memorable scenes is not bad going. While the skeleton melee is justifiably lauded, my favourite will always be Talos. I can't have been more than 5 or 6 when I first saw the film on TV, and I remember hiding behind the sofa when Talos moved his head to stare blankly down at Hercules. The single impact of that one economical movement, coupled with the perspectives used, and the impassiveness of Talos itself... wow. Compensates tenfold the the hydra fight.
loz

Postby raleel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 am

Bilharzia wrote:Although I love Harryhausen and I'm also one of the old guys, It's not all great. If you look at the "Jason and the Argonauts" Hydra scene, which comes before the famous skeleton fight, it's notable how flat it is, I can't help thinking this is an instance where properly done CGI would have made a difference. As it is this scene falls very flat (check it out - it's terrible! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-dkIuIaz8), partly because it's just a build up to the skellies themselves, and it's deliberately not that exciting. The stop-motion technique tended to be very stagey, which works great for some scenes but not so great for others especially when you want to move the camera around. I think this is why modern special effects scenes are obsessed with swinging the camera around as much as possible simply because they can, in doing so they lose part of the appeal - which is taking a wider and slower view and letting the actors (and puppets) do their thing.

Things I want to know
1) hoe did Jason get so many action points, or why does this hydra have so few
2) what kind of weenie hydra has like 10 hit points in the upper abdomen
raleel

Postby loz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:42 am

Things I want to know

It's not been too well, recently.
loz

Postby raleel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:06 pm

loz wrote:
Things I want to know

It's not been too well, recently.

I'm pretty sure that it was... dehydrated.
raleel

Postby Matt_E » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:49 pm

raleel wrote:
I'm pretty sure that it was... dehydrated.

Oh, man...
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Pete » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:12 pm

1) I believe the myth says that Medea poisoned or enchanted the hydra with drowsiness.
2) One which the Fates have decreed will die against Jason's blade. Divine will can be a real bitch for monsters...

;)
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby Matt_E » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:51 pm

[quote="Pete"]Divine will can be a real ***** for monsters...

...or characters...
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Lucius Panderius » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:47 am

Hey Dan True,
Just asking of you have found to watch any of the movies mentioned in this thread.
That you hadn't heard of before.
Which shocked so many of us.
:)
I might do a re-watch of the Golden Voyage of Sinbad tomorrow as it's a public holiday here and I have the day off.
Lucius Panderius

Postby Dan True » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:06 am

Lucius Panderius wrote:Hey Dan True,
Just asking of you have found to watch any of the movies mentioned in this thread.
I might do a re-watch of the Golden Voyage of Sinbad tomorrow as it's a public holiday here and I have the day off.

No, I haven't gotten the chance. I haven't seen them on any streaming service either. And I'm not committed to doing something as old-school and outdated as actually buying a hard copy... I mean, jeeez ;)

- Dan
Dan True

Postby Lucius Panderius » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Dan True wrote:
Lucius Panderius wrote:Hey Dan True,

No, I haven't gotten the chance. I haven't seen them on any streaming service either. And I'm not committed to doing something as old-school and outdated as actually buying a hard copy... I mean, jeeez ;)

- Dan

Hah!
Like, actually buying these old movies? What's that about?
:D
You didn't look on youtubes?
Lucius Panderius

PreviousNext

Return to Supplements