Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic Greece

Re: Mythic Greece

Postby Dan True » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:48 am

Ah, the age explains a lot. From the 50s to the 70s Denmark had a flourishing movie industry, which kept us almost self-sufficient on popular entertainment. It wasn't until the 80s before we really started importing many American movies to the theatre and television. And most people were dependent on a studio or station providing subtitles, so not many could find alternative stuff on their own.

Thank you for the links. I'll take a look at them later.

- Dan
Dan True

Postby soltakss » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:06 am

loz wrote:You HAVEN'T seen Jason and the Argonauts? Or Clash of the Titans? Or The Golden Voyage of Sinbad? of The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad? Or Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger?.

Don't forget that we are old and saw these as kids when they first came out, or as repeats on the telly. They aren't often shown nowadays, but I always watch them again if they do appear.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby loz » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:04 am

Don't forget that we are old

Nonsense! We are emotionally, spiritually, socially and physically mature.
loz

Postby Clarence Redd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:28 am

I watched Jason and the Argonauts with my 12 year old son the other day. He's really into Greek mythology at the moment and actually enjoyed the movie. Special effects were a continous amusement to him though : ) He was shocked when I told him the first Star Wars movies used mostly the same techniques, just slightly refined.
Clarence Redd

Postby Matt_E » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:54 pm

loz wrote:
Don't forget that we are old

Nonsense! We are emotionally, spiritually, socially and physically mature.

Yeah, my knees and back are now notably mature, from time to time... :P This is of course why I call the firm "Mature Bones Publishing".
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Matt_E » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Clarence Redd wrote:I watched Jason and the Argonauts with my 12 year old son the other day. He's really into Greek mythology at the moment and actually enjoyed the movie. Special effects were a continous amusement to him though : ) He was shocked when I told him the first Star Wars movies used mostly the same techniques, just slightly refined.

Yeah, there's something about the shadowing and opacity of real, physical objects that just seems better than almost all CGI. The skeleton melee in Jason and the Argonauts is still one of my favorite fantasy scenes, bar none.

Probably the best action film ever, IMO: Seven Samurai. Barely any special effects; all real stunts, straight up. In those battle scenes, at all times I have the sense that what I'm seeing is absolutely real. There's never a moment when I say, "Oh, bullshit," or, "That was soooo faked." (The acting is a bit weird in spots, but fits its historical and cultural place, I think.)

As CGI has become ever more sophisticated and ubiquitous over the past 15+ years, I have relished the idea that it would become so common and taken for granted that the idea of a "spectacular" movie would fade away, and filmmakers would have to focus on good stories (and acting) to set their work apart. I'm not sure that my dream has or will become reality, though. :-) Ah, well, just another reason to play Mythras instead...
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Lucius Panderius » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:25 am

I too am surprised to find that there are some people out there who are fantasy role players/gamers that haven't seen Jason and the Argonauts, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, The Clash of the Titans 1981 in particular and the other films mentioned. They are you would think staple references for fantasy gamers the world over.
However, we now realise that the world is a big place and these films might not have been released or shown in theatres or got to some places in the wide world in anyway shape or form for whatever reason.
The age of them is also a factor as Loz says.
For inspiration and for timeless entertainment I echo the others who say watch them if at all possible.
You are missing out.
Even the original Conan movie with big Arnie is still worth a watch.
Has a fighter, a thief, a barbarian and a mage.
A fantasy setting game role-playing group no?
Even classic fantasy?
:)
Lucius Panderius

Postby soltakss » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:21 am

Born in the 60s, growing up in the 70s and 80s, I had a cornucopia of fantasy films and TV series to watch, when they first came out or as repeats.

All the Sinbad and Arabian Nights films, Robin Hoods aplenty including the truly excellent Robin of Sherwood, Swords and Sorcery from the 70s and 80s, Swords and Sandals from the 70s, all have contributed to my love of fantasy. Even SciFi was covered with the likes of Blakes Seven, Doctor Who (in its heyday), Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001, Dark Star and many, many more.

Modern films have fantastic special effects, but the older films still have something for me.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby CRKrueger » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 pm

I just got this compilation Blu-Ray disc - weird, the link works in a browser, but I can't link from here using the url tags. Anyway it's "Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen [Blu-ray]".

It's an import but supposed to work in the following regions:
Region A/1: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia
Region B/2: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand

Will let you know how it looks.
CRKrueger

Postby Bilharzia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 am

Although I love Harryhausen and I'm also one of the old guys, It's not all great. If you look at the "Jason and the Argonauts" Hydra scene, which comes before the famous skeleton fight, it's notable how flat it is, I can't help thinking this is an instance where properly done CGI would have made a difference. As it is this scene falls very flat (check it out - it's terrible! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-dkIuIaz8), partly because it's just a build up to the skellies themselves, and it's deliberately not that exciting. The stop-motion technique tended to be very stagey, which works great for some scenes but not so great for others especially when you want to move the camera around. I think this is why modern special effects scenes are obsessed with swinging the camera around as much as possible simply because they can, in doing so they lose part of the appeal - which is taking a wider and slower view and letting the actors (and puppets) do their thing.
Bilharzia

PreviousNext

Return to Supplements