Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mythic Greece

Re: Mythic Greece

Postby Rubrum » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Maybe Dan is just like me and not much of a movie watcher? I am amazed at the number of references I don't understand at the average RPG table. I guess I spent that time listening to obscure music albums instead.
Rubrum

Postby Dan True » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:25 am

I'll see what I can do when my son allows my to watch a movie at some point. But, I'm a ruined millenial. 'If it ain't on Netflix' and all that jazz.
What I find weird is that I've never heard the movies referenced in all my years of geekdom. Maybe I just hang with too young an audience... or maybe they just never gained popularity in Scandinavia?

Either way, if they're good material for a Mythic Greece game, that's all I need ;)

- Dan
Dan True

Postby Matt_E » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:13 am

Dan True wrote: Maybe I just hang with too young an audience...

Wow. Crit to the chest, Impale + Maximize Damage, Matt goes down like a ton of bricks and dies of a broken heart.

I'M NOT THAT OLD! :-D

Or, put another way, I've never been this old, and I'll never be this young again...

[sigh]
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Druss the Axe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 am

So

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Jason and the Argonauts
Beowulf (Ray Winstone)
Hawk the Slayer
Krull
The Sword and the Sorcerer
The Beastmaster (not the second movie)
Druss the Axe

Postby loz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:48 am

Dan True wrote:I'll see what I can do when my son allows my to watch a movie at some point. But, I'm a ruined millenial. 'If it ain't on Netflix' and all that jazz.
What I find weird is that I've never heard the movies referenced in all my years of geekdom. Maybe I just hang with too young an audience... or maybe they just never gained popularity in Scandinavia?

Either way, if they're good material for a Mythic Greece game, that's all I need ;)

- Dan

I think you make a good point, Dan. The classic Harryhausen films used to be staples of Sunday afternoon television in the UK and Europe, but that was before satellite and cable suddenly created a vast array of channels where gems like these could be hidden. I don't think Netflix carries any of the Harryhausen films, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Millenials haven't been exposed to them. They did, after all, come out in the late 60s and early 70s, with Clash of the Titans in 81 being the last of Harryhausen's films to shine at the box office. Anyhow, do track them down and watch them: there are so many great moments, from the iconic skeleton fight of Jason, through Kali's dance and sword battle of 'Golden', to the Cyclops of '7th' and the gorgon of 'Clash'.

You won't regret it - and the effects, even though they're a bit wobbly compared with today's CGI, are far more effective and, dare I say, realistic.
loz

Postby loz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:52 am

Druss the Legend wrote:So

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Jason and the Argonauts
Beowulf (Ray Winstone)
Hawk the Slayer
Krull
The Sword and the Sorcerer
The Beastmaster (not the second movie)

I really enjoyed the Ray Winstone Beowulf because it is largely faithful to the poem. To this list I'd also add 'Dragonslayer' (1981) which, although a Disney film, is a surprisingly good take on the traditional virgin-eating-dragon yarn. And, has the best name for a dragon ever: Vermithax Pejorative...
loz

Postby Druss the Axe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:47 am

Not seen Dragonslayer, I'll add that to my list of movies to watch

I'm reminded me of the movie with Sean Connery doing the voice for the dragon in Dragonheart.

All good fun!
Last edited by Druss the Axe on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Druss the Axe

Postby Eloy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:58 pm

For a good deal on Harryhausen films, check this one outL https://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Films- ... arryhausen

Has Jason and the Argonauts and all 3 Sinbad films.

For some good Hoplite action (although not fantasy, but more like historical fiction, check this one out: https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Revisi ... words=troy

It has 300, Troy (extended version) and Alexander Revisited (3:45min!) . Like I said, more historical fantasy than true fantasy, but sooooo good!

I'm dying for the December Scenario to drop... I read somewhere that it's set in Anathaym's Meeros! I'll hopefully be running that as a 2 or 3 session Hangout. I'll ask for volunteers when I see what it's like :D
Eloy

Postby loz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm dying for the December Scenario to drop... I read somewhere that it's set in Anathaym's Meeros! I'll hopefully be running that as a 2 or 3 session Hangout. I'll ask for volunteers when I see what it's like

'Xamoxis Cleansing' just going through final proofing, and we'll release it before Christmas. And yes, it's set in Anathaym's world, although takes you up the Amaranth River to the small city of Tithys and beyond...
loz

Postby Bilharzia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Sariniya dance for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZzfQNzKMk

Spoliers: all the party was out of luck points except Perseus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7W-oPhY48
Bilharzia

PreviousNext

Return to Supplements