Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

My first RQ6 adventure

My first RQ6 adventure

Postby CabaioMonte » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:59 pm

So i'm being the GM for the first time with RQ6 and i tried the Sariniya's curse adventure

the PC are:
Loraathis: A primitive animal tamer that venerates Sariniya and fights alongside her wolf Lux
Deusdimora: A nomad shaman of the cult of the totem bear. can evoke a spirit bear from a fetish to help her in her battles. she's in search of her noble father (she doesn't know he felt vitim of sariniya's curse) as seen that she was told she is a *******
Berus Falconflight: A civilised thief who comes from a family of really hated tax' collectors. he has contact with very important people in the region and steals for the sake of it, wanting to become richer and richer even in the risky ways

we had only 2 hours so we didn't do much.
i added Zamothis to the party as an helper, maybe turning him and Trimostones as villains along the way

so the crew got notice of the fact that they are bound to Iaxos and 3 (Garros and other 2) crewmembers try to mutiny.
everyone ready their weapons but berus with a lucky 01 convince them that it was only a possible sidegoal instead of the main destination. once the two party gets near each others every PC goes near each seaman. they surprise them and try to turn them down.
Beros makes one prone and zamothis gats on top of him and fails to punch him unconscious.
Deusdimora enters in the fight but fails.
Loraathis tries to turn garros down but gets countered and instead loses 3 hp on her left leg. the wolf tries a leaping attack but fails.
we ended at the turn of now really pissed mutiners

I can't tell what rules i used as seen that i got really lost in the fight and being my first time i succumbed to the weight of the rules.
when someone tries to change range via the proactive actions loses an AcP, right? than if the other hits him does the one doing a reactive action loses one too or is it free?
how would you rule the unarmed fight where one overmount a prone opponent?

I was thinking of making trimostones a villain by forcing Deusdimora to take the curse price (losing fingers, toes and eye) at his place. maybe making them not random choices but calculated bodyguards so that each of them has a reason.
Loraathis can be the priestess after defeating Oora
Deusdimora and Beros are both sons of the curse and needs to lift it.

What kind of malus would you give to one without one toe per feet, one finger per hand and with an eye less?
CabaioMonte

Re: My first RQ6 adventure

Postby Matt_E » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Welcome to the tribe!

Since Loraathis worships Sariniya, I wonder what her exact frame of mind would be regarding her companions and the mission, especially at the latter stages. Would she really go against Oora...? Would she turn coat? Hmm... Food for thought, for that player... :twisted:

About penalties to that permanently damaged body: Maybe lose 1 HP per hand and foot, but that's probably too much meat to attribute to one digit. Missing one eye, you could make any vision-based check Formidable, if it comes from that blind side. That would apply to Perception and maybe some other skills I can't think of right now. The disabled would still get full score for hearing or smelling, though.

Don't feel bad about your first combat. Running combat in Mythras is complicated and requires practice, practice, and more practice. You may want to spend a few sessions of play on staging some gladiatorial contests with throwaway pregenerated characters, with no larger game context or effects. I have suggested this to others: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1618

Yes, you must spend an AP on trying to Change Range, whether or not you succeed. That makes the related Special Effect extra valuable, as it does not cost an AP.

Both proactive and reactive actions cost an AP each. The only actions that don't cost AP are specifically designated as Free Actions. Again, bonuses from Special Effects do not cost AP. This is one of many reasons why your players might decide not just to use Choose Location (Head) all the time...
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Belgath » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:44 pm

For me learning combat. I would take the framework of the parts I understood and run a combat scenario. Then each time add another piece to it. This worked vary well for me. All so when I start with a group of new players I do the same thing, usually give them three special-effects to start with. Each session Adding more. But the new Combat cards will make this much easer. And as a new GM I would highly recommend using them even if it's just for yourself. Having them laid out In front of you Will help you visualize combat if you forget something you can pick up a card and read it. With out having to turn back and forth in the book.
Last edited by Belgath on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belgath

Postby CabaioMonte » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:07 am

Matt_E wrote:Welcome to the tribe!

Yes, you must spend an AP on trying to Change Range, whether or not you succeed. That makes the related Special Effect extra valuable, as it does not cost an AP.

Both proactive and reactive actions cost an AP each. The only actions that don't cost AP are specifically designated as Free Actions. Again, bonuses from Special Effects do not cost AP. This is one of many reasons why your players might decide not just to use Choose Location (Head) all the time...

So if someone tries to change range to get near me i have to spend AP to try to hit him and suffer the penalty of having him in reach if he succeds the evade roll?
CabaioMonte

Postby skoll » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:28 am

CabaioMonte wrote:So if someone tries to change range to get near me i have to spend AP to try to hit him and suffer the penalty of having him in reach if he succeds the evade roll?
No, you don't have to send an AP - you have the option to. If you decide to use an AP, you can try to hit him (and let him change range if you don't incapacitate him) or try to oppose the change. If you don't/can't spend an AP, he can change range unopposed.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby CabaioMonte » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:39 am

Thanks Skoll, this explains it.

i'm thinking of making the next session a cute dream sequence where a group of Beaked Dragonewt gets to fight a female cyclop and make it tie in with the adventure right after the Sariniya's curse.
should work as a second tutorial on how to fight, and as seen that the fate of the dragonewts is to be doomed (if not by this cyclop by the next one who loved her) this should make it easier on my side
CabaioMonte

Postby Matt_E » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Belgath wrote:For me learning combat. I would take the framework that I understood and run combat then each time add another pice to it this worked vary well for me. All so wen I start with a group of new players I do the same thing, usually give them three special-effects to start with. Each session Adding more. But the new Combat cards will make this much easer. And as a new GM I would highly recommend him them even if it's just for yourself having them laid out In front of you Will help you visualize combat if you forget something you can pick up a card and read it. With out having to turn back and forth in the book.

Good points, Belgath. Rather than buying cards, I just have a printout of the Combat chapter as a separate packet, for easy reference during fights. I also have multiple printouts of the Special Effects table, for players, and one packet just for the SE descriptions.

Of course you could use this idea for other pieces of the book, too.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby CabaioMonte » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:22 am

So, we had other two sessions.
in the first one we finished the fight against the three mutinees. it was hard as seen that it was half a fistfight with submission moves (good use of compel surrender). Beros still was kind of sly and tried to steal or torture the more injured one that ended up in treatment. also he used part of his future money to convince some sailors to wait for him a little longer if things went longer than expected. he also did his best to question Trimostones and he found out about the curse. that him and Deusdimora are long childs of the noblemen who helped the mad king against the cult od Sarinya and got cursed (wasn't able to get info about Lorathis and the fact that she is a follower of the same goddess their enemies are faithful about. trimostones is hoping to use her as a plan b in case they end up killing the oracle who can remove the curse).

Next session they reach the island and while still being on the beach they camp for the night. while there they have a dream/vision where they were 3 tailed dragonewts that were fighting to hold back a female cyclop from destroying their eggs out of revenge for the killing of a certain Urm (who was an human like a son to them). at first i thought that the cyclop would have slashed them up but the use of luck points, actual luck and by outnumbering her the cyclop was only able to oneshot the Noble Priest who was with them while ending up bleeding and impaled in her bloody eye with an arrow.
Deusdimora than was capable of waking up while the other two are still in the dream and now facing the other two cyclops member of the family who really loved Urm and the now defunt cyclop

Sorry for the bad english, it is not my first language and while i understand it well i'm not really top notch about writing in it.
CabaioMonte

Postby Matt_E » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 am

Good work. Your English is better than my [anything but English]. :-)
Matt_E

Postby CabaioMonte » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:49 am

So now comes the hard part.
my D&D master moved to england and now i'm becoming the new master of another group of 3-4 to obviously play RQ6. i'm glad we can keep playing but i don't know if i'm up to the task. especially because one of the charachter turned out to be a ruler with a 00 in social class and i don't wanna take it away from him as seen that now he's really happy about his viking jarl and as a team of players we were always a little bit too much on the EUMATE (Entra Uccidi Mostri Arraffa Tutto Esci / Enter Kill Monsters Grab Loot Exit) side of gaming and maybe we can try doing something a little bit more on the role playing side. but i'm the master and i've got 0 ideas so is all up to the fog.
will probably buy the PDF for Monster Island, but, a little question, can i print it? can i move it to other hard disks? i don't know how much use can i get from it if i have to keep it confined in the case of my home PC
CabaioMonte

Next

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences