Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Monthly Mythras Scenario - February

Monthly Mythras Scenario - February

Postby loz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:51 am

Khakun Shrugs continues our Mythras Monthly Scenarios. February brings you Bruce Turner's adventure, an epic quest to placate an angered god who threatens the resettlement of Further Tarsennia. Who awoke the slumbering Khakun though; and what will be the cost be to avert his wrath? Join the Tarsen initiates of the Ruddy River Association to find out...

$6.99 print copy via the Lulu webstore (includes free PDF) http://www.lulu.com/shop/bruce-turner/k ... 81279.html
$3.99 PDF only via The Design Mechanism web store (www.thedesignmechanism.com)

UK, Europe and Australia/New Zealand customers can order via Aeon Games Publishing (http://www.lulu.com/shop/bruce-turner/k ... 81279.html)
loz

Re: Monthly Mythras Scenario - February

Postby Atlatl Jones » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Is this adventure suitable to run in a 4-hour con game slot? I've volunteered for Breakout con but haven't decided what to run yet. I've run Sarinaya's Curse in that time, so maybe Xamothis' Cleansing would be suitable.
Atlatl Jones

Postby loz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes, it should fit nicely. It's quite a compact little scenario, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Is this Breakout in Toronto? If so, I was hoping to be there myself, but I'll actually by in Sweden that weekend.
loz

Postby pachristian » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:30 pm

Saw it on on Drivethrurpg - along with Mythic Britain - Logres - got both - reading now.

You guys do good work.
pachristian

Postby Runeblogger » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:27 pm

I have read it already. The ending reminds me strongly of a gloranthan heroquest. Had Bruce Turner originally set this scenario in Glorantha, perhaps? ;)

Btw, I have spotted a minor mistake in the description of the nightmares: in the text it is said they have the power of Fear, but this is missing in their stats.
Runeblogger

Postby loz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Runeblogger wrote:I have read it already. The ending reminds me strongly of a gloranthan heroquest. Had Bruce Turner originally set this scenario in Glorantha, perhaps? ;)

I don't believe it was written for Glorantha, no. Bruce has been steadily developing a Thennla campaign for quite some time, and propitiation rites designed to placate angry gods, or rituals to reenact myths are definitely not unique to Glorantha.
loz

Postby Dan True » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:48 am

loz wrote:UK, Europe and Australia/New Zealand customers can order via Aeon Games Publishing (http://www.lulu.com/shop/bruce-turner/k ... 81279.html)

This seems to be a doublet of the Lulu link. I can't find Khakun Shrugs on on aeon games yet sadly.

- Dan
Dan True

Postby Dan True » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:30 am

Dan True wrote:This seems to be a doublet of the Lulu link. I can't find Khakun Shrugs on on aeon games yet sadly.

Solved: http://www.aeongamespublishing.co.uk/pr ... ras/40371/
Dan True

Postby Atlatl Jones » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:33 am

loz wrote:Yes, it should fit nicely. It's quite a compact little scenario, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Is this Breakout in Toronto? If so, I was hoping to be there myself, but I'll actually by in Sweden that weekend.

That's the one.

For pregen characters, is there any reason why I shouldn't use Anathaym and company from Sarinaya's Curse?
Atlatl Jones

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:46 am

loz wrote:
Runeblogger wrote:I have read it already. The ending reminds me strongly of a gloranthan heroquest. Had Bruce Turner originally set this scenario in Glorantha, perhaps? ;)

I don't believe it was written for Glorantha, no. Bruce has been steadily developing a Thennla campaign for quite some time, and propitiation rites designed to placate angry gods, or rituals to reenact myths are definitely not unique to Glorantha.

I think Bruce has done a really nice job of reflecting the mythic set-up of the Thennla setting. Glorantha (if I recall) depends on a worshipper's relationship with and knowledge of mythic narratives. Living like your god, reliving, retelling or re-enacting its myth. Thennla isn't like that. The Gods are living characters in the now, and you can cut deals with them just like an animist might do with a spirit, or a conjuror with a demon. It can be very pragmatic and venal. Basically, the lower down the pecking order a supernatural entity is - and that includes those that people call gods - the more readily they can be bargained with. The bigger they are the more it's cloaked in rituals, mummery, mythic narratives and organised cults.
Simulacrum

Next

Return to Supplements