Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Modeling a three section staff.

Modeling a three section staff.

Postby raleel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm

So I've been tinkering with various martial arts and weapons from them for my own game. Most of them I'm pretty happy with, but the three section staff is kind of giving me fits.

Currently I'm looking at
Three piece staff (Two handed Weapon)
Damage: 1d6
Size: M
Reach: S-L*
Combat Effects: Stun Location
ENC: 2
AP/HP: 4/8
Traits: Entrapping, Flexible, Double Ended

And the reach is what is getting me. The staff is fairly specifically designed to be used at multiple reaches - short reach like escrima sticks, medium like a flail, and long like a staff. But emulating that is somewhat of an issue right now. I've not come up with reach-changing mechanics I'm happy with.

Currentlt, my best is that the reach is allowed to change for free when the user uses change range, or opens or closes range with a special effect. Anyone else have some ideas?
raleel

Re: Modeling a three section staff.

Postby Matt_E » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I would do exactly what you propose. :-)
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby hkokko » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 pm

Please share...
hkokko

Postby raleel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm

hkokko wrote:Please share...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BQu ... 0NEYMaiqwQ Has mostly weapons. Chi push at the end is a mysticism involved trait. Most of these are very flexible, with quite. A few traits, but not particularly high damage.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10M4 ... 6sN75uUbUQ Are combat style traits. This one also has a chi push, but I think I'll drop it in favor of the mysticism one above.

I've been debating how I want to model some of the hard, striking sorts of styles as well. There are some real differences between them but the granularity can get pretty fine (do I really want to model the difference between tip of the finger strikes vs fist strikes vs palm strikes, or kick vs punch at full reach vs clinch vs grappling)
raleel

Postby Gloranphile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am

These are pretty cool. You should think of creating a Wu Shu supplement! We need more mysticism and kung fu in our Mythras...
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby raleel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am

I have, though frankly my out of gaming load has doubled in the last six months. I had to give up GMing even :) but I still get a chance to tinker a bit. I think that there would be more substantial alterations to do a wuxia genre sort of thing. Probably much lower implementation times, for example. Of course, this will force me to watch more martial arts movies, but this is the burden I will bear for the good of the community ;)

The Chi Push was one I didn't see represented at all in Mysticism, and thus I made it. It's a pretty classic move that is in a lot of movies.
raleel

Postby Gloranphile » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

It's never a bad time to watch martial arts movies!
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby hkokko » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Looking really good
hkokko

Postby mark » Tue May 02, 2017 12:22 pm

As a long time Chinese martial artist, I think I'd create a three section staff slightly differently.....

The average length of each of the 3 sections is around 65cm (26inches). Excluding the grip, that's around the same blade length as a katana or a cutlass, and a bit bigger than a typical gladius. So it seems like each section is closer to a medium sized weapon than a short weapon.

The weapon is primarily used as a two handed flail, but with entrapping capabilities. In this way, two contiguous sections are held and the free end is swung at the opponent. While the weapon can be swung in one hand, it is pretty hard to recover quickly and so its effective reach is generally not as great as TV & movies might lead people to believe, actually less than a regular two handed flail.

There is little evidence the weapon was used in (large scale) battles, suggesting it was a weapon mostly for personal defence, in which it presumably must have been effective so therefore I'd give it the defensive trait.

Having trained with this weapon, my experience was that the end sections don't function well as 'offensive' escrima sticks. Being generally slightly thicker and heavier wood and joined by another section they're just a bit too heavy and slow to work really well 'offensively' as escrima sticks, but those qualities mean they're more suited for defensive use or for flailing.

Given the above I'd basically call this a low-powered, defensively-orientated, two handed flail. I'd give it the Bash, Stun Location combat effects and the double ended, flexible, defensive and entrapping combat traits. With a reach of medium it can be effective at short to long range and is only really in any difficulty at the very long reach.

Sanjiegun (Two handed Weapon)
Damage: 1d6+1
Size: M
Reach: M
Combat Effects: Bash, Stun Location
ENC: 3
AP/HP: 4/8
Traits: Defensive, Entrapping, Flexible, Double Ended
Vikingr a 9th Century PbP game of Mythras/RuneQuest6
mark

Postby raleel » Tue May 02, 2017 1:51 pm

hey thanks! I appreciate it the real world experience with it, and I like your reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if I got unit conversion problems going from 26" to 26 cm :) I also like the M reach. I'll incorporate the changes in with a note.

also, it' doesn't make oodles of sense for it to have Entrapping and Defensive, unless there is something I'm missing. Entrapping includes Defensive, by my reading.
raleel

Next

Return to Rules and Mechanics