Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Meanwhile, at Dragonmeet 2016

Meanwhile, at Dragonmeet 2016

Postby loz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 am

Aeon Games Publishing are busy flying the Mythras flag and demonstrating Classic Fantasy...

Well done to Oliver and the team for representing Mythras brilliantly!
loz

Re: Meanwhile, at Dragonmeet 2016

Postby nclarke » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 am

Picked up a copy of Rome and a beautiful book it is. The stand was giving away copies of Imperative if you signed up for the mailing list, but he mentioned one person paid for a copy rather than give out their email address. Seeing as it's really easy to unsubscribe forma mailing list I wonder if that person was the one I saw wandering around with a tin foil hat.
nclarke

Postby Clarence Redd » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:34 am

A few years ago I would have paid too : ) But these days I feel it's much easier to unsubscribe and it is respected by most companies.

nclarke, can you give us a few impressions from the convention?
Clarence Redd

Postby nclarke » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 am

The con was in a bigger location compared to last year (different hotel) and the extra space was good in that there was more space between stands allowing better disabled/public access. The goods on offer were varied and plentiful with almost all the UK's middle and upper tier game producers having stands and a good selection of smaller outfits as well.

The actually organisation of Dragonmeet has always been a little chaotic but this year was even worse than normal. Prepaid ticket holders got in slower than pay at the door folks making that a waste of time. The game signup system was appalling where you had pay before you could even see the list of available games and the systems for the game were not visible, making it a bit of a lottery to sign up. I ran a game (Pulp Cthulhu) in the morning and found the rooms overcrowded and extremely noisy.

On the positive I did see a lot of friends who do make the journey and that made visiting worthwhile.
It's a one day con that is trying to encourage a second day on Sunday but the one day thing is so ingrained I don't know of anyone who stayed over. Being in Hammersmith in outer western central London things are expensive (parking for the day under the hotel ran £3.50 an hour for people not staying there). There were two or three nearby Tube stations so getting there if you didn't drive all the way downtown was relatively easy and I saw folks from France, Germany and even James Raggi (from Finland?) during the day.

If you are coming to a UK con from outside the country then it's not a bad choice as you can send your significant other shopping although that might do more damage to your credit card than buying games. I'd suggest that Games Expo at the start of June is a better choice if visiting for a games convention. It's in Birmingham, close to an international airport, has lots of hotel choices and covers three days. Although it's smaller than Essen it's not smaller by that much (25,000 visitors last year).

Nigel
Last edited by nclarke on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nclarke

Postby Clarence Redd » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Great, thanks Nigel!
Clarence Redd

Return to Conventions