Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Malware alert on Google Chrome

Re: Malware alert on Google Chrome

Postby ThornPlutonius » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:58 pm

A major complication to allowing adverts through (and sites depending upon them for revenue) is that malicious adverts are a major method of infecting a computer. Adverts are served out from central sites with which other sites contract for this "service". Most are legit. Some are fronts for malware delivery and not always easily identified by those contracting for their services. Adverts are no longer just an annoyance. Adverts have become an infection vector, a security risk. Not all adverts are a threat, but such threats are too common to just be ignored.
ThornPlutonius

Postby loz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:00 pm

soltakss wrote:Yes, adblock seems to work. However, that could cause problems if the service provider relies in the ads to fund the service, which is why I don't normally use them. I tend to ignore adverts anyway, so I don't normally need an adblocker.

It doesn't matter to the provider one way or the other: they're paid for providing the space and page impressions regardless, so you're not denying them anything by installing an ad blocker.

I've had companies contact us wanting to advertise on Design Mechanism's site (and always ignored or politely declined the request). But if we did take money for advertising, we'd be paid anyway, irrespective of ad blockers in use.
loz

Postby Jefferiot » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm getting a malware alert pop-up--I believe from an ad on Free Forums--a little more than once every day, requiring me to use the system console to kill the browser process entirely. It comandeers the browser including Alt-F4, Ctrl F4, Esc, and close boxes. The malware alert itself is the malware, asking me to call some phone number, which I would never do.

I'm unfamiliar with ad blockers, as I've never used one. I even wonder if there is malware in the free ad blockers that I've seen. Is there a trustworthy (doesn't have malware in it) free one for Windows? I'm looking for a specific recommendation.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby skoll » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:19 pm

The ad blockers are browser-specific. I'm using Chrome and the blocker named AdBlock. It's a popular blocker and contains no malware. Never had a single problem on this forum. AdBlock is available also for Firefox, Safari and Opera.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby Jefferiot » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Thank you, Skoll. It should have occurred to me they are browser specific. Yes, I'm using Chrome. So far it is working, because I don't see any ads. :)
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby nclarke » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:22 am

I've been using it for several years and have never had an issue on Chrome from malware or pop-up ads.
nclarke

Postby CRKrueger » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Disconnect for Chrome keeps everything clean also.
CRKrueger

Previous

Return to Forum Guidelines