Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

M-SPACE RPG is launching today

Discussions on the M-Space setting and other publications by FrostByte Books.

Re: M-SPACE RPG is launching today

Postby Clarence Redd » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:40 am

Thank you both! Let me know what you create with it.
Clarence Redd

Postby darius » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 am

That's it, I have received my copy !
What I liked:
- The shape,the layout, the style. A beautiful book, pleasant to read.
- The new rules: extented conflicts, circles (very clever).

What I would have liked:
- professional skills maybe more suited to the genre.
- maybe a larger equipment list (the ranged weapons list starts with "blaster" by default).

Overall, i strongly recommend this book and I'll use it for my future game. Nice job !

D.
darius

Postby Clarence Redd » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks for your comments and kind words Darius. Regarding the skills, I had a short discussion with Loz and Pete, and we decided it's best for compatibility to keep the skill list intact. As I come from a vanilla BRP background, Mythras' already covers more than I'm used to (or perhaps skills are more efficiently spread), and I didn't feel the need for more than two additions (Vacc Suit and Zero G; both optional if you aim for truly soft sci-fi). Any skills in particular that you're missing?

I must admit I'm not much into gear. The equipment list is enough to get you up and running, but nothing fancy. Especially sci-fi can drown itself in over-burdened characters, relying too much on tech. I suppose that's the reason I'm returning to the concept "mythic sci-fi" when writing about M-SPACE, putting technology in a framework of storytelling instead of the other way around.

When it comes to weapons, it's a deliberate choice to keep the list almost abstract. I firmly believe combat takes up too much space in RPGs in general. To me, weapons could all do the same damage (as proposed in the chapter on extended conflicts). By downplaying combat slightly and upping other types of conflicts with extended conflicts, I hope to tip the balance at least a bit in favor of non-violent play.
Clarence Redd

Postby darius » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:21 pm

I tried to be brief because my English is not very good (!). I do not have in mind a particular skill and I respect your choice, that makes sense. I was trying to say that skills are not exclusively centered on "space-op" (with skills like boating or seamanship... but in fact you can use them in a space op too !).
I appreciate and approve your "commitment" in favor of non-violent play. It is just that i don't refer to blaster in my space op gaming universe (...but to guns like in Alien movies. But yes, it is not a "mythic sci-fi setting").
Again, M-Space is a very good and solid book, clearly it will become my default system to simulate space op. And there is room for supplement(s) !
darius

Postby Clarence Redd » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Yes, I see your point. Both Boating and Seamanship were up for discussion, as well as Dancing, Musicianship etcetera.

For more Alien-style weapons, perhaps you can use the weapon stats from Mythras Imperative or Luther Arkwright?
Clarence Redd

Postby Marras » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:45 pm

I got the physical book today!
Marras

Postby Rel Fexive » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Mine has been shipped!
Rel Fexive

Postby Clarence Redd » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 am

Let's hope they are quick : )
Clarence Redd

Postby Rel Fexive » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Well, it arrived today, and it looks very swish! :D
Rel Fexive

Postby Pelayo MDC » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:12 am

Already received my copy but I'm going slowly reading it (not because the layout isn't appealing me to read).

From the first time I saw the cover it reminded me something similar seen before, it's Simon Stålenhag's work that has been mentioned in Kotaku:
That Time Aliens Landed In The 80s And We Were Totally Cool With It (Kotaku)

Today, they've mentioned him again:
More Beautiful Sci-Fi Art From Simon Stålenhag (Kotaku)

Perhaps someone may find it interesting as it has, more or less, the tone of the book.
My G+ Profile profile
Pelayo MDC

PreviousNext

Return to M-Space (FrostByte Books)