Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

M-Space: Event Horizon

M-Space: Event Horizon

Postby Pentallion » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:59 am

My other campaign, Dark 'Verses, is about to wrap up. I'm probably over tired by the long hours I've been working, but I can't sleep so I thought I'd start the thread for our next campaign. I'm using the map of the Terran Rim from Traveller, but the campaign has nothing to do with the traveller universe. This campaign is based upon a previous campaign I ran eight years ago called The Raptured. but this one is set 10,000 years after the destruction of Earth and the death of God.

The players have no idea this is that campaigns sequel.

Our brave troop of adventurers will be part of a pirate confederation. they will have their own raiding vessel, the Event Horizon. I plan each session to be a short adventure, much like an episode of Firefly. In fact, the whole campaign will be a series of episodes, with several long running plot lines. In tribute to Firefly, each "season" will be 14 "episodes". There will even be a theme song.

Each episode will open with a cut scene to lead into that nights adventure. Then I'll play the theme song. This way, it will set the mood. I'm using Firefly, Dark Matter, Farscape, Cowboy Bebop and even Star Trek as inspirations for each episode. In fact, there's even a bit of Halo in the backstory of the campaign as it was the activation of the Halo Device that destroyed God and devastated the universe, setting mankind back 10,000 years. I decided to throw that in because there is an asteroid belt called Halo on the Terran Rim map I'm using so I went with it.

I won't control what order the episodes are played out except for the "pilot" episode. After that, each episode is keyed to each planet, with each planet having two or three episodes, one for each time they visit that world. Since I don't know which planets they will go to in what order, the adventures will happen in a kind of random order. This means that the War Bot that would come in mighty handy in "Junkyard Blues" might not be available because they didn't go to the planet Minilgan first and survive "Mutual Assured Terror" and get the War Bot. Or they might have to go back to the prison planet Gustav to rescue one of the crew after they just made a prison break because the chain of events occurred in the wrong order. Some episodes thus might never happen at all. But some are virtually assured to take place, being as some naturally lead into others. For example, "F Us." automatically leads into "Goodbye Hell" which automatically leads into "Junkyard Blues" which automatically leads into "Alpha Omega", but when "F Us" happens is anybody's guess.

Since I can't sleep, I'm posting up a teaser trailer. I don't know which episode this will be, but it's called "Alpha Omega" and this is the lead in cut scene:

Event Horizon jumps into system. Sensors pick up entropic oscillations and anomalous phase signatures creating a temporal dislocation. Moments later, the Event Horizon lurches forward and begins accelerating. The Captain orders them to reverse engines, but the pilot can't pull away. Sensors pick up a quantum singularity and the ship is being pulled into it. Then the quantum singularity disappears as suddenly and inexplicably as it appeared and instead a vast battle cruiser pops out of nowhere in its stead. The Event Horizon tries to make evasive manuevers but she's going too fast and there's no time to avoid the collision. The Event Horizon slams into the battle cruiser and explodes killing all the player characters.

The theme song comes on.

The adventure then begins with the Event Horizon jumping into the system. Sensors pick up entropic oscillations and anomalous phase signatures creating a temporal dislocation......
Pentallion

Re: M-Space: Event Horizon

Postby Belgath » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:57 am

As it seem that I am in a time loop Nice start.
Belgath

Postby Clarence Redd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Great start : ) Killing all the PCs in the opening scene is brilliant.

What theme song do you use?
Clarence Redd

Postby Pentallion » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Clarence Redd wrote:Great start : ) Killing all the PCs in the opening scene is brilliant.

What theme song do you use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnhNtZNFao
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:13 am

The Event Horizon

4 mods cockpit
30 mods Engine (TR 120)
20 mods Manuever (TR 70)
40 mods crew
10 mods living space
4 mods Med Bay
20 mods passenger (hibernation tubes)
4 mods repair drones
2 mods Hyperjump.
9 mods Weapons (3 triple turrets) - the game starts with only one weapon in each turret, a single blaster. They can scavenge/buy two more weapons to fill up each turret.
2 mods Sensors (Heat and Motion)
30 mods Hangar Bay (30 ton Pinnace)
130 mods Cargo.

Speed 13
Maneuver 5
Size 294

Armor 8

01 Cockpit
02-11 Engine
12-17 Maneuver
18 Hyperdrive
19-31 Crew Rooms
32-34 Living space
35-44 Hangar Bay
45-88 Cargo
89-91 Weapons
92-97 Passenger
98 Med Bay
99 Repair Drones
00 Sensors

The Event Horizon is modelled after the Mongoose Traveller Corsair ship. In this campaign's universe, having Jump-2 is a very new development and it is one of only 10 ships in the Reaver Alliance fleet that has Jump 2. One other ship, the Aek Nek Battlecruiser, is an experimental craft with Jump-4, but it is very unstable and not ready to enter into service.

Unknown to anyone outside of the Old Earth Alliance is that the OEA has just developed jump-3 technology and that is about to tip the balance of power in their favor, precipitating war between the three stellar races, the Humans, the Dingir (tall, red skinned aliens with horns and a barbed tail that look exactly like devils and smell of sulfur and brimstone) and the Vegans (what in the real world we call grays. The little guys with the big black ovoid eyes that abduct people and crash landed at Roswell).
Last edited by Pentallion on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:33 am

And here is Reaver Space. I didn't give planetary icons to anything except the planets in the players library database. Each planet has its own Handout, listing planetary data. That starship next to Eneldun is the Event Horizon at the beginning of the campaign.

Pentallion

Postby Vile » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:57 am

There's no way I could convince any of my players to join a campaign called "Event Horizon" ... :lol:
Vile

Postby Clarence Redd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:50 am

Small jump distances are always fun; interesting limitations tend to occur. What are the green lines between some of the stars on the map?

Oh, and great choice of theme song : ) Sets a perfect tone for the campaign.
Clarence Redd

Postby Pentallion » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:09 pm

I just downloaded that map to save time I could spend on building other things. Those green lines are supposed to be trade routes in whatever traveller campaign it was designed for. I told my players just to ignore them. The rest of it I kept, such as starport types, naval and scout bases, and boundaries.
Pentallion

Postby Pentallion » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Cast of Characters

We modified the M-Space character creation. We always liked Mongoose Traveller's life events and connectedness so what we do is instead of adding in 150 bonus points, we have blended the two systems. Each character gets their culture and career, but then we roll for their upwards of seven "terms" in which they must survive and gain life events. They get 15% in any skill they gain due to a life event. Each character gets two "connections" which are kinda like Luck Points that they can use to either cause another player to ignore a failed survival roll or, if after all characters have been generated they have any extra connections left, to share a skill they gained from a life event. This represents the groups history together prior to the adventures. First, to survive, they must roll 85% or less each term. Then they roll on whatever life event table in mongoose traveller is closest to their career choice. They also get promotions on a roll of 60% or less and mustering out benefits. Each promotion they gain 15% in a skill from their career and possibly 15% in a skill indicated for their rank.

They tend to gain slightly better than 150% bonus skills, but only get to choose what some of them are. However, they get a more detailed background and a lot of enemies and contacts, etc.

Admiral Ordan Danthus
Admiral Danthus is the Captain of the Event Horizon. Born on the slave world Kidashi, "where clones are cheap and life is cheaper",Urban culture, Starship Pilot career. Danthus worked his way up the ranks of the Alliance Navy until he was made Admiral of the Corsair Fleet in a political move that was spearheaded by the Council of Bajavanang. The five Reaver Clans recognized the need for an organized raiding strategy. The Dingir had better technology and resources. The Alliance Navy was a defense force. Each clan, however, possessed several Corsairs. The only ships on the fleet capable of jump 2 and each under the control of their respective clans. No clan wanted to hand control over to another clans leader. Ordan Danthus, however, was a member of no clan, having been born on the slave planet Kidashi. He was loyal only to the Alliance Navy and was the perfect choice for Admiral of the Corsair Fleet. At first, all went amazingly well. His raids were more successful than anyone had hoped. Then the Dingir began ambushing his fleet. Ordan realized that there was a spy in Naval Intelligence. He began handpicking a group of men that would form his private intelligence unit with the sole purpose of exposing the identity of the Dingir spy. This is how the crew of the Event Horizon came together. Before he could catch his prey, however, rumors began swirling that the Admiral was in reality loyal to Clan Carrillian, which had suffered no losses under his command and whose Corsairs now equaled that of all other clans combined. Danthus was forced to resign. He was allowed to retain his personal Corsair ship, the Event Horizon as he and his crew had sunk their life savings into it.
In supposed disgrace, Admiral Danthus now pursues the spy with all his energies. His hunt has brought him to the capital planet Eneldun, where his search has been repeatedly thwarted by the Chief of Planetary Security. As the pilot episode opens, Admiral Danthus has dispatched his personal assassin, John Slinger, to eliminate this obstacle.

John Slinger
Slinger is an assassin. Born on the Halo asteroid belt, he has Orbit as his culture. As an assassin isn't strictly listed as a career in M-Space, I allowed him to take Bounty Hunter as his career but replace Combat Style (Gunnery) with (Sniper) instead. This gives him three combat styles (Sniper), (Concealable) and (Unarmed). He's got a long criminal history and a long list of enemy's to go with it. He was betrayed by a fellow assassin, Bender Nimm. He killed Kitor Sol's father, a powerful member of the Carter Clan. Kitor Sol now wants revenge. A detective Holden is chasing him across the galaxy for killing a union leader. He killed the CEO of Bancorp, for which the mans brother Bobby Gee wants him dead. As the Pilot episode begins, he has just killed the Head of Planetary Security on the capital planet Eneldun and unbeknownst to him, the Chief of Allied Naval Intelligence is now after him. I have adventures dealing with every one of these enemies and Slinger gets the PCs into more trouble than you can believe.
Slinger owns 16% of the Event Horizon which makes him the primary shareholder. But he is not listed as an owner to keep his presence on board a secret. On paper, his shares belong to Admiral Danthus.
Slinger has an 8 year old son. He keeps the boys existence a closely guarded secret. He left the boy in the care of his mother on Shaalgar.
Slinger only trusts one other person outside the crew of the Event Horizon and that's Jonz the Knife. Jonz and Slinger worked together many years and saved each others lives more than once. Jonz is his Ally.
Slinger has extremely good reflexes and is highly intelligent.

Archer
Sigh. There always has to be one player....Okay, that's the pic he chose for himself and that's the name he gave himself. Flush immersion down the toilet, whatever. Guess who this guy is? Have a Twinkie if you guess Spy. But don't spill any of the crumbs, that's how you get ants. Anyways. Archer is the Admirals Intelligence Agent. Born on the desert world Eyck, he's Rural culture, Agent career. No enemies, no allies, nothing because Archer has made it a point to not really exist. He's gone on missions with Slinger before and no one was the wiser. Archer is a Master of Deception. It is he who has been integral in chasing down the spy who brought down the Admiral. It is he who has devised the plan to bring their prey out into the open by killing the Head of Planetary Security.
Archer probably isn't even his real name and that's probably not his real picture. One can only hope.

Kaydas Vago
Kaydas Vago was another PC born on the Halo asteroid belt. The miners who live on the remains of the planetary system that was destroyed when God died are a small community and Vago and Slinger were fast friends. Vago chose another path in life, but one which turned out not so different than Slingers. Vago served as a Marine in the Alliance Navy. We used Mercenary career in M-Space but there should be something the equivalent of a soldier career available and I was surprised that there isn't. Anyways, Vago seemed to always get picked to lead a Black Op and one of those ops will one day come back to bite him. He did some morally questionable things in his career, but this is a pirate society so that's to be expected. He was betrayed by Dassus Tor, a fellow Marine and he gained an ally in one of his commanding officers whose career he saved. He knows how to use weapons larger than those given in M-Space. I haven't decided whether to just use Luther Arkwright weapons or Mongoose Traveller, so he hasn't the exact weapon types in that combat style just yet. He's very loyal and the second best Gunnery officer on the ship.

Lt. Tharos Danson
Lt. Danson still has both his legs. He was born on Halo like several of the other PCs and so has known them most of his life. He has an array of useful skills but is primarily an engineer on board the ship, though he could pilot it in a pinch. He has one enemy, named Kergen. He ended Kergens mutiny and brought disgrace upon Kergen and his family.

Issari Saturnan
Issari Saturnan is more than just an engineer on board the Event Horizon. He's also one of the best hackers in the galaxy. And on top of that, nobody drives a harder bargain selling cargo than Issari Saturnan. Yet another PC born on the asteroid belt Halo, Issari's life was a bit different than a typical engineers. A crime lord considered him a protege. This caused the crime lords former protege to hate him and now he has to beware retribution from Graz the Brash. He learned a great deal of Commerce and Computers thanks to that however. He's who the Admiral turns to when he needs security cameras disabled or to hack into Naval Intelligence. He's the one who will make the others rich with his keen bargaining skills.

Dr. MacGyver
Using our rules made this character a bit more difficult to roll up but he was worth it. He had everything that could go wrong happen to him in his brief career as a Medic. Since only two connections can be used per PC to save him from failed survival rolls, he had a short career as a Medic and was ousted from the medical profession. So he became a Starship Pilot halfway through his creation. The career skills had to be pretty small to divvie them all up so he's slightly skilled in a whole lot of things, hence the name Dr. MacGyver. He's an okay medic, he's an okay pilot, he's got Gunnery skill, he can Astrogate. If in doubt, check to see if he has the skill. Oddly, besides knowing how to fix up people, he's a very good Mechanic as well. His Ally is his super model girlfriend Aleece. He also is in the good graces of Count Ulrich of Eneldun, which happens to be where the good doctor was born.

Our last character is the best gunner in the Corsair Fleet.
Gunni
So this character was originally called Scotty, but now he's called Gunni. He's an amazing gunnery sargeant whose job is to protect the Event Horizon from incoming missiles and take out enemy star ships. Besides that, he's also a handy ships engineer and can assist Issari and Danson with the ships engines. While their primary fighter in space combat, Gunni isn't very good at personal combat and prefers to remain on the ship doing routine maintenance whenever they land at a star port. He never accompanies away teams.
Last edited by Pentallion on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pentallion

Next

Return to Game Reports & Play Experiences