Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Lindybeige talks about the character creation process

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Lindybeige talks about the character creation process

Postby Dan True » Tue May 16, 2017 4:31 am

I think I'll try this approach for my next game. Have anyone of you tried it or Hillfolk / DramaSystem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wES5ufX ... Lindybeige

- Dan
Last edited by Dan True on Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan True

Re: Lindybeige talks about the character creation process

Postby Pentallion » Wed May 17, 2017 3:53 pm

That was really interesting.
Pentallion

Postby Mjollnir » Wed May 24, 2017 1:52 am

This sounds like far more interpersonal conflict than I have any interest in.
Mjollnir

Postby Dan True » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 am

Mjollnir wrote:This sounds like far more interpersonal conflict than I have any interest in.

Well, it's a matter of taste. And I wouldn't go as far as he does, where drama between the characters is the main story-telling drive: I still would like my characters to be protagonists working towards some sort of goal together.

But it can spice up the character creation process I think. Rather than everyone building one character and then hapharzardly trying to tie them together in a part in the end, you could involve anyone much more in deciding who everyone will be.

But yeah, I wouldn't allow anyone to says "I'm a doctor and my relationship is because the Anna's character is dying" - not in my normal sort of campaign game at least. *Maybe* in a one-off.

- Dan
Dan True

Postby Mjollnir » Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 am

Well, it's a matter of taste.

Exactly. That's why I phrased my post the way I did.

I like action, adventure, horror, mystery and problem solving.
I don't like interpersonal relationship development and focusing on a character's internal conflicts. My favorite authors are REH and HPL, and they didn't write stories about social drama or internal conflicts.

There are tons of story games out there that hold no appeal for me. I prefer character development to be more of a set up. This is who I'm playing and a this is why the PC's are motivated to go on adventures, now let's get to the monsters.

Beyond the Wall is an OSR game with an interesting character creation process.
Mjollnir

Return to General Gaming & Discussion