Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Just Gloranthan Sorcery

Just Gloranthan Sorcery

Postby Pentallion » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:19 pm

The other thread got sidetracked. Let's talk about what we know about Gloranthan sorcery. If Loz and Pete cannot comment, that's fine, we understand. If they can make any helpful comments, hints or vague divinations, we'll try to interpret the goat intestines as best we can.

But here is what we know:

From the preview of the AiG: https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/20 ... irst-look/

Sorcery is very different in Glorantha. Gloranthan sorcery is now brought up to date with GtG approach but there is an also an option to use the standard RQ6 sorcery or even a mix. I will need a bit more time to think about Gloranthan sorcery approach which looks to be much more free form than standard RQ6 sorcery.

The Guide to Glorantha approach is on page 48:

Malkioni sorcery works around applying one of the following principles to a specific Rune: Summon/Dismiss, Command, Combine/Separate, Tap. The correct identification of things is extremely important for Malkioni sorcery – the more specific the identification, the more powerful the effect. One favored technique is genealogical – determine what a thing is by identifying its runic precedents.

I'm taking a wild stab at what we might see in Runequest Glorantha. You have to shape runes. Your skill in any spell is determined by your skill in shaping the runes associated with that sorcery spell. So possibly, Treat Wounds might be Combine Life Rune to Man Rune. Your skill would be limited the lower of your shape life rune and shape man rune.

I may be totally off the mark, but I've got a year to GM my glorantha campaign while waiting for the Glorantha specific rules to come out and I have to house rule something.

If you were to try to base sorcery on the two above quotes, what would your house rules be?

And if we're lucky, maybe the Invisible Gods of Runequest might send us a Divination to help us better understand the Laws of Malkion.
Pentallion

Re: Just Gloranthan Sorcery

Postby soltakss » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:21 am

Based on those two quotes, I would have different Manipulations for each of the Principles (Summon/Dismiss, Command, Combine/Separate, Tap) with the addition of Enhance, perhaps. The sorcerer would have the Manipulate skill and would have a separate skill with each Rune, for example Earth 50% and Fertility/Life 75%, so would be able to use Manipulate in combination with the runes to cause effects.

To make it easier, I'd list down a few simple combinations for ease of use.

So, Enhance + Fertility/Life is a healing spell, Enhance + Death would perhaps be like Boost Damage, Separate + Ice makes water. Separate + Fire makes light, Combine + Darkness + Water makes ice and so on.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby Psychman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:45 am

Considering how RQ does magic generally, I agree mostly with soltakss on the Manipulation options. However I wonder if Each Sorcery School/Grimoire is defined by their own set of Runes they can use, and ability to utilise these for effects is bought with 5 experience rolls per rune, much like Spirits, Miracles etc.

Possibly in terms of MP cost, multiple runes in a casting requires higher MP cost, much like other manipulations. Such a secret could be held by the higher membership grades, such as Adept.
Psychman

Postby Runeblogger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

What could you do with a grimoire focused on a rune like the Magic rune?
Some ideas that come to mind:

- Dismiss + Magic = Neutralize Magic
- Summon + Magic = Create magic points out of thin air?
- Tap + Magic = Tap POW
- Command + Magic = ???
- Combine Magic + Earth = temporal Magic points matrix in a gold ring?
- Separate + Magic + Earth = destroy an enchantment?

I guess Death or Fire centered grimoires will be very popular among players. But how could you make other grimoires like one centered on the Magic rune be a cool and useful grimoire for a RQ starting character?
Runeblogger

Postby Runeblogger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

- Tap + Magic = Tap POW
- Command + Magic = ???

I guess Death or Fire centered grimoires will be very popular among players. But how could you make other grimoires like one centered on the Magic rune be a cool and useful grimoire for a RQ starting character?
Runeblogger

Postby Runeblogger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:39 pm

- Tap + Magic = Tap POW
- Command + Magic = ???

Runeblogger

Return to Glorantha