Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby loz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:17 pm

As you may have heard following announcements and comments made at Dragonmeet today, it appears that the next version of RuneQuest (to be published by Chaosium) will be based on a new version of Basic Roleplaying using RQ2 as its underlying core, with some adaptations made by the Chaosium team. Pete and I cannot say anything ourselves about these developments, except to note that Chaosium’s RuneQuest will not use RQ6 to anywhere near the extent originally envisaged following the GenCon announcements back in August.

We are delighted however, to announce that RQ6 will continue under a new name. We will be announcing that name in due course, but the game system you have grown to care about will live on – as will all the supplements we have created so far, and the ones we intend to release. Pete and I have no direct involvement in RuneQuest’s future per se and so will be devoting our energies to Design Mechanism products.

I’m sure this news will raise many questions, and some we will not be able to answer – a fact that is simply beyond our control. However we can talk freely about the next printing of our rules and will be very happy to do so.

We wish Chaosium every success with both BRP and RuneQuest.

Loz and Pete
loz

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby raleel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Will you be continuing to develop Luther Arkwright, the Mythic Series, and whatever else under the moniker formerly known as runequest 6?

Does this give you freedom to develop future, as yet unannounced products that would not be possible under the Chaosium banner?

Could you hurry up and get a Conan RPG license and publish that say by Jan 1 or so for my personal game? ;)
raleel

Postby loz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:29 pm

raleel wrote:Will you be continuing to develop Luther Arkwright, the Mythic Series, and whatever else under the moniker formerly known as runequest 6?

Does this give you freedom to develop future, as yet unannounced products that would not be possible under the Chaosium banner?

Could you hurry up and get a Conan RPG license and publish that say by Jan 1 or so for my personal game? ;)

Yes to all of these - save the Conan RPG license… :)
loz

Postby raleel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:35 pm

As it stands right now, does this means that the moniker-formerly-known-as-RQ6 (which I will call MFKARQ6) does not have access to the Glorantha license?

(I am guessing that if you could get access to it, like the 13th age folks have, that would be a different deal, and probably under negotiations if possible)
raleel

Postby Jason » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Well, I for one am disappointed that the new version of Chaosiums RQ will not be based on RQ6.
I had been very much looking forward to a Glorantha-based RQ6.

But more importantly, I hope that all the effort you guys put into developing AIG was not a total loss.
Hopefully you guys were compensated somehow for all the work you put into that, only to have it fizzle out due to licensing crap shortly before you released it. :evil:
Jason

Postby loz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:48 pm

As it stands right now, does this means that the moniker-formerly-known-as-RQ6 (which I will call MFKARQ6) does not have access to the Glorantha license?

Correct.

(I am guessing that if you could get access to it, like the 13th age folks have, that would be a different deal, and probably under negotiations if possible)

While Glorantha is a wonderful setting, we have our own settings and properties that we are very much looking forward to developing. We’re sure that everything Chaosium is doing Glorantha-related will be terrific.
loz

Postby hkokko » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:01 pm

As stated elsewhere - this is NotGoodAtAll in my view. I am very disappointed by this direction. It will be good for the non gloranthan RQ6 users but us Gloranthan ones will be in a bind. The RQ6 system is the best gaming system I have used and I am very unlikely to go for another one. This needs some thinking.

I look forward to your impeccable style and rules in future as well.
hkokko

Postby Bilharzia » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Wow, I am shocked. The work that Loz & Pete have done with RQ has been an amazing effort, rescuing it from the first Mongoose...version... to where it is now. I can't help thinking if it wasn't for the success of TDM the new Chaosium RQ wouldn't be happening at all. I haven't been that interested in the RQ2 reprint kickstarter since...I have most of that stuff already, I'm sure it makes sense for the new Chaosimoon though.
To throw a question from out of left-field, is there any possibility of TDM publishing a setting and adventures for any of Clark Ashton Smith's settings? Averoigne and Zothique? There seems to be some doubt about whether his work is now public domain or not, I noticed the CAS passages in the chapter headings of Monster Island...
Bilharzia

Postby Mike Schulenberg » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm rather pleased by this news. I just couldn't get very excited about the idea of the game system becoming inextricably tied with Glorantha, though I was withholding judgement until the final product came out, as I never doubted that it would have been of high quality. Nothing against Glorantha, you understand. I just can't seem to get into it as a setting, no matter how much I would like to. I'm far more interested in TDM's rules as a toolkit for a variety of settings, and would really like that to continue.

That said, I feel for the people who were looking forward to official support for using RQ6 in Glorantha. I hope there's a chance for a version of AiG to come out as a licensed product for using TDM's rebranded rules with Glorantha for those who want it. Heck, I'd probably even buy it myself.

I also hope there's a chance the rebranded rule system will create an opportunity for hardcover versions of Book of Quests and Monster Island. I love the durability and classiness of hardcovers, but I understand if the potential sales aren't there to support them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I support you guys and am looking forward to what's coming next.
Mike Schulenberg

Postby Rubrum » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:26 pm

I am disappointed. There are various angles to approach this but... I mean in a way I'm very happy because that means we will get RQ6 to not focus too much on Glorantha and I really do want a lot of "mythic" settings and things other than Glorantha.

On the other hand I've purchased the Guide to Glorantha and was really looking forward to AiG and using it with RQ6. I really don't want to buy into a slightly different version of RuneQuest just to play Glorantha. :(

Also, while I know my RQ6 core books will still be useful, I'm sure you guys will have to publish "new" core rule books that I'll be tempted to purchase, hehe... Ugh.
Rubrum

Next

Return to News