Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby Rubrum » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I much prefer the core-rule book + setting supplements approach myself.
Rubrum
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby Caliburn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:18 pm

loz wrote:
Also, any notion towards making these titles self contained games?


No. Certainly not at this stage. While it might be attractive in one sense, it's an approach that comes with problems. It also means rewriting established lines to accommodate the core rules, which becomes a very expensive exercise for the publisher. In some cases it's simply not worth doing.

We designed RQ6 (and its successor) to be self-contained and broadly applicable, GURPS-style, to avoid having to recreate the wheel each and ever time we create a new setting. We would far prefer having a core rule book, along with a free gateway product (like Essentials), alongside setting books that pack as much relevant content into them as possible.

There might be some occasions where a setting book needs a much different approach and has to have an integrated version of the rules, but there's currently nothing in our pipeline fitting that bill. Even Classic Fantasy, which we originally thought could be managed as a standalone game, is better suited to referencing the core rules. Part of this is simply size: Classic Fantasy was threatening to dwarf the RQ6 page count (pun intended), but there's also a lot of other considerations too, such as branding and system identity.


Then does this mean that the Classic Fantasy book will refer to the not-yet-named core system or to RQ6 in it's current format Loz?

Or do you have enough of the spadework done on the new format to be able to accurately cross-reference now?
Caliburn
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:30 am

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Well, the main reason why generic systems like GURPS are successful is the massive level of supplemental support given towards a single centralised core set. The reason why D20, as an alternative example, ultimately struggled is that it dissipated into multiple lines that couldn't be controlled. A generic system isn't a panacea although I do respect the reasoning. There will be a fair amount of competition out there in percentile based systems alone but I wish TDM the best of luck with all this, of course.

Beyond the business side of things, I do have some practical requests for including full magic systems in specific supplements rather than in the Essential rules. A number of core magic systems are redundant in some settings - Mythic Britain only used Animism for example, while Luther Arkwright actually misses out on the Mysticism rules which are referred to in expansion rules. There can be too much cross referencing between different books in these sort of things for character generation and the like. I'd prefer it if the specified sub-systems being used were actually wholly present in the supplements as required.

Have the Core Rules be as they were - comprehensive and useable for world and campaign creation - but make the supplements instantly accessible via the Essentials book (with extra required stuff being self contained). Then strip down the Essentials book, without Magic Systems, or any other extra bells and whistles, and make that freely available. This way, you actually get the best of both worlds - a GURPS-like line, but with each setting supplement effectively standalone with Essentials rules.

Anyway, that's my tuppenny's worth.
Last edited by TrippyHippy on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrippyHippy
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 am

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby Vile » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:20 pm

loz wrote:We designed RQ6 (and its successor) to be self-contained and broadly applicable, GURPS-style, to avoid having to recreate the wheel each and ever time we create a new setting. We would far prefer having a core rule book, along with a free gateway product (like Essentials), alongside setting books that pack as much relevant content into them as possible.

Is there any likelihood of the post-RQ6 rules to be even more generic, in that case? At the moment they are firmly tilted towards ancient fantasy, i.e. there is more fantasy than one might expect in a generic book, and less multi-genre material like firearms, different tech eras, etc.
User avatar
Vile
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am
Location: The Maze of Peril

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Vile wrote:
loz wrote:We designed RQ6 (and its successor) to be self-contained and broadly applicable, GURPS-style, to avoid having to recreate the wheel each and ever time we create a new setting. We would far prefer having a core rule book, along with a free gateway product (like Essentials), alongside setting books that pack as much relevant content into them as possible.

Is there any likelihood of the post-RQ6 rules to be even more generic, in that case? At the moment they are firmly tilted towards ancient fantasy, i.e. there is more fantasy than one might expect in a generic book, and less multi-genre material like firearms, different tech eras, etc.


They'd also possibly have to consider art direction in this case also - as it too is geared towards ancient worlds settings.
TrippyHippy
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 am

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby loz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:00 am

Is there any likelihood of the post-RQ6 rules to be even more generic, in that case? At the moment they are firmly tilted towards ancient fantasy, i.e. there is more fantasy than one might expect in a generic book, and less multi-genre material like firearms, different tech eras, etc.


As we've said, TGFKARQ6 will be reformatted (because it has to be) but we're not changing anything fundamental. So it won't become a GURPS or BGB.
Then does this mean that the Classic Fantasy book will refer to the not-yet-named core system or to RQ6 in it's current format Loz?


Both, actually. Classic Fantasy is - and has been - in a truly weird place, and I've had to apologise to Rod numerous times for the different directions he and has manuscript have been pulled in. However, we are going to ensure that CF carries the correct branding in the most expedient way, and under the terms of our agreements with Moon Design. It sounds complicated, but is actually much simpler than it appears on the surface - although the journey itself has been quite complicated.
User avatar
loz
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby CryAxe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:41 pm

Will the next incarnation of the core rulebook include any of the smaller supplemental bits such as "Ships and Shieldwalls", Errata, Firearms, or any other concise mechanics content that might be useful to include in the main book?
CryAxe
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby loz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:25 pm

CryAxe wrote:Will the next incarnation of the core rulebook include any of the smaller supplemental bits such as "Ships and Shieldwalls", Errata, Firearms, or any other concise mechanics content that might be useful to include in the main book?


It will include errata, but we're not going to add supplemental mechanics like Firearms or the ships and battle rules. We'll keep those in their own supplements. The main reason is size of the book: we're going to reformat to reduce the page count without removing anything, so adding additional rules in would defeat that object.
User avatar
loz
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby threedeesix » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:56 pm

loz wrote:
Both, actually. Classic Fantasy is - and has been - in a truly weird place, and I've had to apologise to Rod numerous times for the different directions he and has manuscript have been pulled in.


You may have felt you needed to apologize, but it wasn't necessary. I more then understood the position you guys were put in. I'm just happy you let me make the needed changes myself. I am all too aware of manuscripts being turned in to other companies, only to have things changed by the powers that be without any input from the author.

It's been and still is a pleasure working with you guys.

Rod
User avatar
threedeesix
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Important Announcement: Future of RQ6

Postby DreadDomain » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:16 pm

loz wrote:
CryAxe wrote:Will the next incarnation of the core rulebook include any of the smaller supplemental bits such as "Ships and Shieldwalls", Errata, Firearms, or any other concise mechanics content that might be useful to include in the main book?


It will include errata, but we're not going to add supplemental mechanics like Firearms or the ships and battle rules. We'll keep those in their own supplements. The main reason is size of the book: we're going to reformat to reduce the page count without removing anything, so adding additional rules in would defeat that object.


Ah! No chance to see Traits (like in Luther) added to the book then?
DreadDomain
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
suspicion-preferred