Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

I can't use this forum

I can't use this forum

Postby Antalon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Just to make you aware, I'll be using another forum from now on. Each time I visit this forum, I have about a minute before it closes my browser and open the App Store for some gambling app or other. I've blocked pretty much everything I can, but I cannot prevent this problem on my iPad, which I use almost exclusively to visit blogs and forum. Luckily there is G+, The Tavern and several BRP forum that also discuss RQ6.

Please let the developers of this forum know that the advertising allowed on this forum is intrusive and disruptive to the point of making it unusable for me.

Regards

John
Antalon

Re: I can't use this forum

Postby soltakss » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:15 pm

This used to be blocked, because the ads were identified as being problems, but installing AdBlock stopped that for me.

I am not sure if AdBlock is available on the iPad, but there must be something similar that you could use.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby loz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:46 pm

John, I use AdBlocker on Safari, Chrome and Firefox. I use the forum at work and at home. I experience no intrusive advertising at all, and while it's obviously present, I think it may be a problem with your browser more than the forum. If it were as bad as you say, then we would be bombarded with complaints, and we're not.

I'm sorry you don't feel you can visit here anymore, but I think the problem lies elsewhere than with the forum developers.
loz

Postby nemafow » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:37 pm

I'd just like to add that occasionally my anti-virus is blocking things while I view this forum, its not every session though. Most recent (which funnily happened as I was viewing this particular page) was reported as a blocked attempt 'angler exploit kit website 6' - whatever that is.
nemafow

Postby RangerDan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:38 am

In support of Antalon, I also find this forum extremely disruptive on the iPad, as it often bumps me to the App Store.
My solution has simply been to not visit this forum on my iPad, and use only my PC desktop for visiting the TDM forum.
I also think there's some regionality going on - I was recently in Canada for some weeks and did not have the annoying ad-jumping from there.
RangerDan's Combat Style Creator Thread / PDF.
RangerDan

Postby nclarke » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:40 am

It is probably a case of the site serving region appropriate advertising to you.

I run an ad blocking program and never have an issue on this site. Perhaps you should find one for the IOS/Ipad to fix the issue.
nclarke

Postby loz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:40 pm

RangerDan wrote:In support of Antalon, I also find this forum extremely disruptive on the iPad, as it often bumps me to the App Store.
My solution has simply been to not visit this forum on my iPad, and use only my PC desktop for visiting the TDM forum.
I also think there's some regionality going on - I was recently in Canada for some weeks and did not have the annoying ad-jumping from there.

Not sure about regionality. I've used my laptop in Canada, Sweden, Cuba, the UK and USA without suffering any difference in adblock's effectiveness. I certainly won't rule it out, but I am still certain that it's not necessarily an issue with the site, and more an issue with how different devices, operating systems, browsers and various plug ins, choose to work. It isn't always easy to isolate a cause for an annoyance, given the complexity of connectivity and applications these days, so I don't to start raising trouble tickets with freeforums.org unless there's a bonafide reason to do so.
loz

Postby ptingler » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I also use Adblock Plus on all my computers and highly recommend doing so if you can. You can always whitelist sites you want to give ad revenue to so you don't hurt anyone by using the software to block sites that are issues.
ptingler

Postby Rubrum » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:15 pm

For the record, the following pop up came when I used this forum from a different computer than I usually do (I usually use this forum with adblock from home).

It popped up yesterday, when I tried closing it, the computer started downloading a fishy "setup.zip" file which I promptly cancelled.

When this popup came today, I forced-closed Chrome entirely through killing the process.

Link to image of popup, on imgur http://imgur.com/ZI178Iv

I realize this may be related to local ads being fishy, but it's a bit worrisome nonetheless and not very welcoming.
Rubrum

Postby loz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks Rubrum - that's clearly Scamware, and freeforums.org need to be aware. I'll forward this to their helpdesk.
loz

Next

Return to Forum Guidelines