Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Homebrew Character Sheet

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Homebrew Character Sheet

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Heya,

I've been playing around with a new campaign concept and due to modular nature of Mythras and it's derivates, I'd like to add some new mechanics (such as sanity) and perhaps remove some. To make this all work though, I need a character sheet which represents accurately these things and in an ideal situation would also thematically fit to the game. So, does anyone have experience with homebrew sheets and could give me some tips? For starters, I'm quite lost with software.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Re: Homebrew Character Sheet

Postby nclarke » Sat May 20, 2017 3:58 am

If you're lost with software then there is no hope :-)

Get a pencil and paper and sketch out a design for what you want and when it's about right ink over the outline. Play using that sheet a few times to make sure it doesn't need anything else and then take a photo of it using your phone. With the resulting picture ask around if any of your friends could turn the picture into something prettier and widen your circle of friends by having them ask others until you find someone who can turn the picture into a final version. Making it form-fillable is a further step that will need someone with Adobe Acrobat (or similar) skills)
nclarke

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Sat May 20, 2017 9:24 am

Hahah yeah, I'm not that lost with the software. I pretty much know how to get myself around them and what to do and how... Problem is scale, size and locations. Where to put a box with character basic information such as name, sex and age? Alright is it too big, too far away in a corner? What does look good? If there's nothing else, then plain "try, fail, try again" is probably my way to go but it sounds so tedious...
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Postby soltakss » Sat May 20, 2017 1:16 pm

What do you want in a character sheet?

I like having things organised in boxes and columns, with very little artwork and wasted space.

Normally I use Excel, or a similar spreadsheet package. I make all cells 1 character in width and merge cells in lines so that I get a lot of rows of cells arranged together. I then put boxes around them and have a functional character sheet. If I want to be fancy, I link things like skills and characteristics together, so that a skill based on DEX and STR would have the DEX/STR/DEX+STR values next to the skill.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Return to General Gaming & Discussion