Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Gloranthan Cult One Pagers for RQ6

Re: Gloranthan Cult One Pagers for RQ6

Postby skoll » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:10 am

In the particular case of Disruption, it's even more powerful than that - it's 1d3+6. But note, that you need to have at least 101% in the appropriate runic affinity to be able to cast rank 6 folk magic spells.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby Pentallion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Well, I haven't come across runic affinity in RQ6 so I'm guessing that's something new in AiG. Sucks I can't run my campaign the way I want to for the next year. I really want to incorporate this stuff right now. But I have no idea what a runic affinity is in RQ6 terms or how its applied in the game.
Pentallion

Postby Jefferiot » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:39 pm

You might not have to wait for this part.

I saw runic affinity in Mongoose RQ or Legend and/or the cult books for them, so I think the rules for runic affinity can be had now at a cheap price, if the availability is the same today as it was when I picked them up. Perhaps someone knows exactly which ones you need and their availability. Otherwise, I could look into it further for you in my copies, if you were so interested.
Who to be or not to be. That is the question. --Jeffspeare
Jefferiot

Postby Pentallion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I could find them, but which book or books would I be looking for?
Pentallion

Postby loz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Runic Affinity for Glorantha works much differently to the old Mongoose system so I'm afraid it won't help Pentallion much. There's no real secret to it; it's reminiscent of HQ's Rune Affinity system, but codified for RQ. Every character has 3 Runes (typically related to their culture, but can also be random) that operate at a %. Certain Passions and character traits are linked to your Runes, and the Rune Affinity score acts like an augment (as do Passions) and, in the cases of the higher magic systems, replaces one of the casting skills.

We can't go into more detail here for obvious reasons, but that is the overall gist - and reasonably easy to replicate for your own campaign.
loz

Postby Pentallion » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 am

loz wrote:Runic Affinity for Glorantha works much differently to the old Mongoose system so I'm afraid it won't help Pentallion much. There's no real secret to it; it's reminiscent of HQ's Rune Affinity system, but codified for RQ. Every character has 3 Runes (typically related to their culture, but can also be random) that operate at a %. Certain Passions and character traits are linked to your Runes, and the Rune Affinity score acts like an augment (as do Passions) and, in the cases of the higher magic systems, replaces one of the casting skills.

We can't go into more detail here for obvious reasons, but that is the overall gist - and reasonably easy to replicate for your own campaign.

Oh wow! That is almost exactly what we've been doing! I guessed it was something like that, but not sure. The only thing I really missed was replacing your Exhort with your runic affinity. For Sorcery, we were just doing your rune were your chance to cast. I didn't realize I was so close. Cool! Thanks for clearing that up Loz. :D
Pentallion

Postby hkokko » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Adventures in Glorantha Take 4: Spirit Societies

Adventures in Glorantha Preview brings us rich variety of spirits for shamans.

Full list of spirit Societies have not been released yet for AiG - they will come later on in Chaosium Runequest but that is still far away in time. For the time being I have created as a fan contribution my view of the spirit societies in one pager format.

Here are now 26 spirit societies made from Runes usually associated with those. This is how I view them. This is a first cut. This should help those few who have the preview but also any others as most of the spirits are available in RQ6. Only some neutral spirits are mentioned here. None of the spirit magic is mentioned on this round.

Format is now somewhat different as we do not have acolytes anymore in AiG.

The original one-pagers will still be available in their location. The new ones will be in Aig directory and have in small print on upper right corner "Aig Preview version". I expect I need to tune these still - so I added print date and time info on bottom of the page.

This of course meant that I need to change later on the stats in RQ6 Encounter Generator as the spirit society members there have been so far my interpretation of RQ6 Glorantha without Aig. The spirit societies that have been changed are still my interpretations of the AiG as they are based on the Preview and the rules are not fully complete yet. Like noted in my first look at Adventures in Glorantha elder races are not yet described in AiG Preview. I remain in gratitude that I got permission at GenCon to do this upgrade to the Gloranthan Cult One-pagers under the normal Fan Policy.

Feedback is welcome.

I will likely not be updating the original one pagers but will be working on this AIG preview version until Chaosium Runequest comes out - I will likely update the one pagers at that time for it as well.

So we have the Glorantha One Pagers for Spirit Societies in AiG

Spirit societies that exist now are

-Aldrya
-Bagog
-Blackfang
-Daka Fal
-Dark Eater
-Eiritha
-Foundchild
-Golden Bow
-Horned Man
-Hungry Ghosts
-Jokotu
-Kolating
-Kyger Litor
-Mallia
-Oakfed
-Odayla
-Pamalt
-Rasout
-Stormbull
-Thed
-Waha
-Zola Fel
-Zong

Hsunchen societies here are

-Telmor
-Pujaleg
-Basmol

The Hsunchen, Pamalt and the hunter gods (Ragout, Odayla, Zong, Foundchild) still have their theistic side as well. At least for Hsunchen it should fade away in the future - so for these cults it would be good to use only the spirit society side. Others would probably stay as a mix of theistic (rune magic) and animistic cults & spirit societies.

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/20 ... societies/
hkokko

Postby gran_orco » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you, hkokko. It;s a pitty, because I do not understand spirits in AiG. There are a lot of abilities, but I cannot find a list of spirits which use them, or rules of how should we add those abilities to spirits. Maybe you could help me.
gran_orco

Postby hkokko » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:52 pm

I do hesitate to quote from the rulebook as it should be read from the rulebook.

The AiG Preview version is mainly for those who have the ruleset. Others may want to use just the old version of the spirit societies from the other directory.

There is currently no list. You can build a spirit from these. So a disorder (rune) spirit would have disorder spirit abilities 1 or sometimes rarely more. Darkness spirit would have similarly darkness spirit abilities one or more.

If one does not have AiG Preview at hand then Loz said something earlier about Runic Affinities for Theism. One could use those terms to deal with spirits as well - for example requiring one to have Runic Affinity to work with the spirit.

For the spirit abilities: https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/20 ... societies/ and take a look at the updated spirit societies.

Each rune spirit has one or more abilities from the list - usually might be only one. Create a spirit in normal fashion of RAW. For those spirit abilities that have direct equivalent in RAW - use the direct equivalent ability. So for Dark Eater spirit society you have Bless ability for a disorder spirit with sub abilities of blessing luck points, action points, totem animal skill. These exact bless enhancements are my invention - each rune spirit would probably be able to bless or curse according to the rune. Replace with others if you want. For totem animal I have named herdman and invented that it should provide Endurance as the totem animal skill. So you might get a disorder spirit with bless ability that can provide Endurance or another that can provide blessing of luck points or another that can bless Endurance skill. If the spirit ability mentions "totem animal skill" and spirit society does not mention a totem animal - there is no such skill. These spirits could act like nature spirits in RAW. For Curse spirits you could use the same abilities to curse in similar fashion (curse luck points or curse action points or curse totem animal skill).

Shapeshifter, Disease and Discorporate have direct counterparts.

For those that have no direct equivalent - invent or do not use. For example knowledge spirit might perhaps be close to ancestor spirit. Discorporate might not exist alone but come with bless ability... For Deadly you could pick Bane spirit or Death spirit - perhaps...

For the spirits - use them like you would RQ6 spirits except you need to have the runic affinity for the rune spirit. So to command darkness spirit effectively you should have darkness runic affinity.

Perhaps the most important thing is that AiG promises to give us much more flexible and rune centric way of handling the spirits - so it makes even the spirit handling a quest of Runes. There is quite a bit of very playable and enjoyable depth in the set that to me really takes advantage of the spirit of Glorantha and makes the shamans even cooler to play... The spirit section overall is one of the coolest parts of AiG from my point of view. There is quite a bit more in the spirit section of the AiG - these spirit societies are just my extrapolation from those rules - real spirit societies have not been depicted yet in the AiG.

These anyway may change with Chaosium Runequest.

In case Loz or Pete want to expand - that is up to them.
hkokko

Postby gran_orco » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:12 am

Ok, I see. Then, this (AiG) is useful to know the kind of spirits that a player could choose in each tradition, as per the rune magic. However, I still do not understand how to use the discorporate skill. For example, in the case of a death spirit trying to attack a PC. Could it discorporate the soul of the character and attack him in the Spirit World? In this case, is the spirit invisible to another characters in the material world? Or is the spirit always visible if it is engaged in Spirit Combat, regardless if it is in the material or the the other world?
Discorporate skill seems different in AiG. It seems that in Glorantha the Discorporate skill cannot drag a soul to the spirit world anymore.
gran_orco

PreviousNext

Return to Glorantha