Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Glorantha at TDM to be Locked

Re: Glorantha at TDM to be Locked

Postby Matt_E » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:50 am

[Full disclosure: I have no skin in this game. Glorantha does not interest me per se, and I do not frequent BRP Central.]

Personally I respect this request and will honor it, though from a purely strategic perspective I do not agree with Chaosium that this is the smart way to go. It does nothing to protect their IP, which is not even under attack, and it probably harms their promotion efforts by removing a free advertising venue (assuming the chatter would be positive, and why not?), in a business that I believe relies on word of mouth and personal recommendations. I don't see an idiot in this village, though, which means probably I am he.

In terms of impact on this fine forum, I feel worst for hkokko, considering how often Glorantha stuff comes up regarding viewtopic.php?f=6&t=268 . Now his good work and announcements become more complicated, I think, even though that is all "incidental discussion" and not a dedicated space.

It just feels a bit churlish and divisive on Chaosium's part--especially considering how other things seem to have gone down in the launch of RQ:G.

[end kvetching]
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Pentallion » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Then I guess as the saying goes, what happens in Glorantha stays in Glorantha.

I have to agree with the others. It seems a bit churlish. Loz and Pete deserve better consideration IMO.
Pentallion

Postby Rubrum » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:16 pm

Matt_E wrote:I feel worst for hkokko

I was thinking the same. As for me, well, call me lazy but I only want to frequent so many social medias and forums within my given time on this earth and I enjoyed seeing Glorantha discussion and material here.

Mostly I also don't understand the approach Chaosium have chosen. But then I have understood very little of their choices since the beginning.
Rubrum

Postby nclarke » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:33 am

Many of you seem to be confused about Chaosium's request to shut down a separate Glorantha forum here.
When MD took over Chaosium about a year ago they had to focus on not only resolving the financial difficulties but get out the KS rewards for CoC 7e. There was not really a centralised location for discussion of their products just forums at BRP Central, MD's own site, Chaosium's site and various other places. To consolidate discussions and ensure the official line on the products was stuck too they co-opted the biggest BRP discussion forum (BRP Central) as their official hub. That way they could reduce the number of locations needed to monitor for official responses to questions and product release information.

Leaving a site available where they'd either have to have someone from Chaosium to monitor it for content and supply information or request the ex-licensees to close down discussion was an entirely reasonable business decision and Chaosium's new team have been nothing but focused on business decisions that will keep them financially stable.

Speaking to Jeff Richards on a couple of occasions revealed that putting an accountant in place was one of the first things they did to bring back strict financial control to the company. Each decision regarding adding a book/product to the various lines is judged on the cost against projected income over time which is why we've been seeing plenty of re-releases of old material as it's already written and just needs some polishing to release it and gain a revenue stream.

While asking Loz and Pete to shut down all but side discussions of Glorantha here is a nuisance for some it enables Chaosium to control information streams and provide reliable information in a centralised location.
nclarke

Postby Rubrum » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:01 pm

If I posted about Glorantha here, I wouldn't expect it to be read by Chaosium people. If I wanted to talk to Chaosium I would go on their channel. Are they also going to try to do something about the existence of subreddits like /r/runequest or /r/glorantha on reddit?

Sometimes we just want to talk among ourselves on our chosen platforms?
Rubrum

Postby hkokko » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Hmmm. Things are changing. This does not sound good from any point of view I can imagine (and I have wild imagination). Will need to figure this one out.

Jeff has earlier assured me that my work on the encounters will not be affected.

Have been very busy on real life work past months - almost no time for game related stuff - and now traveling on vacation. There will be new encounters later - will need more Fonritan, Pamaltelan and Monster Island foes... Also new trade stuff.
hkokko

Postby Baulderstone » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Pentallion wrote:Then I guess as the saying goes, what happens in Glorantha stays in Glorantha.

I have to agree with the others. It seems a bit churlish. Loz and Pete deserve better consideration IMO.

"Churlish" is lot kinder than I would put it.

I guess the slogan for the future is Your Glorantha May Not Vary.
Baulderstone

Postby hkokko » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:55 am

My final post on Glorantha subforum in this forum (will of course post on other subforums when I have something to say). Never thought that would come to pass. Boy, am I glad that I went to see Loz and Pete at Gencon and got the book there.

Thank you all - RQ6 was the thing that rekindled my interest in RPG gaming and it proved to be so good driver and so much fun that I started building content for the tool in my favorite world - Glorantha. It is truly excellent gaming system. Thank you Pete and Loz for a superior game and so many enjoyable hours I have spent with it.

I will continue to play Glorantha with Mythras.

Thank you all for the interesting discussions and points of view on Glorantha with RQ6. This has been an excellent and mature forum... I have learned a lot and even met a few of you....

Encounter generator will get content updates every now and then - have been very busy at work so perhaps less lately, let's see how that will go...
hkokko

Postby deleriad » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Although I'm on record as not liking most of what New Chaosium has done with RQ, I think this is fair enough. After all, TDM are now competitors and having a bespoke Glorantha forum really isn't appropriate. I'm not hearing that there are any issues with people discussing using Mythras to play Glorantha it's just that it's not really fair for TDM to host a specific forum on a company board plus, Loz and Pete have other priorities right now anyway.
deleriad

Previous

Return to Glorantha