Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

[AiG] Covert spirit ability, why?

[AiG] Covert spirit ability, why?

Postby gran_orco » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Before AiG, in RQ6, all the spirits with capability to discorporate have the Stealth skill to prevent magical detection.
According to AiG, the majority of the spirits possess only a single ability, so I would want to know the usefulness of a spirit with JUST the covert abilty (it has a Stealh skill at 50%+INT+CHA, with which it can hide from active magical or spiritual observation by opposing the Perception skill of the observer). I mean, if a shaman controls a spirit with this ability, which is its utility if it cannot do anything else? I am sure that I am missing something. Can you help me?
gran_orco

Re: [AiG] Covert spirit ability, why?

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:33 am

As a single ability its primary use is that of spying, or acting as a tripwire for the shaman and/or other spirits.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby gran_orco » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am

Pete wrote:As a single ability its primary use is that of spying, or acting as a tripwire for the shaman and/or other spirits.

Oh, so it could be used by the shaman to gather information. I do not understand the meaning of the second sentence. Can you explain it more?
gran_orco

Postby Matt_E » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:59 am

A tripwire is the switch that sets off a booby trap. Often it is literally a nearly invisible wire under significant tension, below knee height. When you trip over the wire, the trap (or alarm) is sprung.

In this case, the Covert spirit acts as a sentinel--its only job--, and sounds an alarm to the shaman or other allied spirits, says Pete.
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks Matt!
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby gran_orco » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Matt_E wrote:In this case, the Covert spirit acts as a sentinel--its only job--, and sounds an alarm to the shaman or other allied spirits, says Pete.

Now I understand it perfectly. Thanks!
gran_orco

Return to Glorantha