Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Classic Fantasy - Unearthed Companion

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Re: Classic Fantasy - Unearthed Companion

Postby Dharman » Sun May 01, 2016 5:25 am

Me thinks a Kickstarter is in order. More money, faster book. :-D Oh, and you have my pledge already.

If it would help to shorten your time, you have my pledge.
Dharman

Postby loz » Sun May 01, 2016 8:05 am

Running a Kickstarter is no guarantee of a faster book, or even more money. Unless the book is already written, and stretch goal/backer reward items already very well prepared, a Kickstarter can actually result in a book taking longer and costing more money.

I personally think that there's too much of a rush to fund, produce and launch products with Kickstarter. Like any business project it requires planning, preparation and commitment. I think if you consider it some form of fast-track money-generator, you're probably not going to have a very successful Kickstarter.
loz

Postby TrippyHippy » Mon May 02, 2016 3:04 am

Well said, Loz.

For me, who has backed a number of campaigns - some good, some bad - it's a stress. It tests patience, strains the relations between the creator and the backers, and blurs the legal aspects of consumer rights.

I'd much prefer the steady way in which supplements are released currently - you still need patience sometimes, but there is no acrimony or doubt about what you are getting or when.
TrippyHippy

Postby Belgath » Mon May 02, 2016 3:42 am

I guess what rely drives me crazy is the fact that Design Mechanism Products are som of the best out there yet so fue people know about it.
Belgath

Postby Rubrum » Mon May 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Yeah the only benefit I see is also exposure. It seems kickstarters have the potential to attract massive amounts of people just by word of mouth these days.

As an aside... of the... what... 7 or 8 projects I've backed on Kickstarter, only one has been delivered on time. Most have been delayed for over 6 months, and I think half at least by a year. At this point I find the fumbling about with planned shipping dates to be grating at best, embarassing at worst. When I've received my latest "We are writing to announce to you that we are delaying our release for another 6 months so that we can create the product we really wanted to make" e-mail (I received one last week...), I couldn't do anything other than feel like the people making the product were amateurs at this point. After so many projects being delayed, aren't people learning that these things take more time than anticipated?
Last edited by Rubrum on Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rubrum

Postby Gloranphile » Mon May 02, 2016 3:00 pm

The only Kickstarters I will back with no question are those by Reaper (the Bones line), MST3K, Rifftrax, and of course anything by TDM. There are some rpg ones that I did back that failed me (either with broken promises or products), and I won't be backing them again (I won't name names).
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby trechriron » Mon May 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Well. If you decide you want to KS it. I'm in. I will proselytize that campaign like a new kid finding a new religion on his birthday. Or something like that.
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
My Blog
trechriron

Postby maugli » Sat May 07, 2016 2:16 am

Dharman wrote:
Me thinks a Kickstarter is in order. More money, faster book. :-D Oh, and you have my pledge already.

If it would help to shorten your time, you have my pledge.

Sounds like it wont happen but if it ever did, you would have my pledge as well.
Keep it up! Classic Fantasy is flippin' awesome!
Vex yer foe with yer fierce eye my bairns!
maugli

Postby kilgs » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:12 am

Dharman wrote:Here's the point: the product is clearly incomplete. They list various ranks from 0 to 5 and every rank is mentioned through all the book (random encounters included). But, if you want to play them, you have to wait 2 years and buy another book.

Such a terrible joke.

Did you get a bad copy because mine is THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-EIGHT pages long. No, it doesn't have Ranks 4/5 but, holy cow, that's some serious bang for my buck. No we can't run epic games out of the box but I can't remember the last game that emulated D&D's vast array of spells, powers, item etc AND mapped it all the way up to endgame. Calling it "incomplete"?

And it was $19.99... :shock:

However, I do agree that 2yrs sounds like bloody torture... Gimme Assassins and Anti-Paladins NOW!
kilgs

Postby Icefield » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Is there also a Fiend Tomio full of low level, but squirrely, monsters with meager treasure and special abilities like Death Gaze, Favorite Character to Stone, and Fast Poison Breath?
Dithering will only serve to waste your Action Points...
Icefield

PreviousNext

Return to Products and Releases