Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Classic Fantasy - Unearthed Companion

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Re: Classic Fantasy - Unearthed Companion

Postby ptingler » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:14 pm

As I posted in another thread, I think explicitly mentioning this to the potential purchaser upfront will go a long way to minimizing ire on this issue.
ptingler

Postby soltakss » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Jefferiot wrote:
soltakss wrote:In any case, those of us who are long in the tooth RQ-wise are used to taking a supplement and expanding on it, so we would expand beyond Rank 3 ourselves.

So, I think I have enough in Classic Fantasy to handle through epic level (level 20+) scenarios made for many kinds of D20 games, of which D&D and AD&D are just two from dozens. :mrgreen:

Sure. What do you need? High level spells, special abilities for high level Magic Users? You can make them up if you don't have them.

As for running epic level scenarios, you would have to do some conversions on the fly.

I don't have the new Classic Fantasy yet, so don't know whether there is a section on converting D20 scenarios. But how hard can it be?
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby Corrilwynn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Ok, I’m really… ecstatic!

The Design Mechanism has given me one ruleset to rule them all! I love Sword & Sorcery adventures, and I love old school dungeoneering adventures. Now I can take my favorite RPG ruleset, Mythras, and supplement it with Classic Fantasy to run my D&D/OSR adventures.

Thank you, Rodney for all your hard work on Mythras Classic Fantasy, and thank you, Loz and Pete for your efforts in releasing it. I find Mythras Classic Fantasy to be absolutely fantastic, like all Design Mechanism products. My D&D 3.5 group is looking forward to playing it when our current campaign wraps up, and it’s my turn to GM.

I am very, very glad that The Design Mechanism exists, that they make my favorite RPG ruleset, and that they have now given me an easy way to use those rules to also play old school D&D adventures. Thank you for all the enjoyment and creative inspiration you guys have given me through your books. I hope you stay in business for a very long time.

And that, sirs, is no joke
Corrilwynn

Postby loz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:24 pm

We really DO need to get a 'Like' button...
loz

Postby threedeesix » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Corrilwynn wrote:Ok, I’m really… ecstatic!

The Design Mechanism has given me one ruleset to rule them all! I love Sword & Sorcery adventures, and I love old school dungeoneering adventures. Now I can take my favorite RPG ruleset, Mythras, and supplement it with Classic Fantasy to run my D&D/OSR adventures.

Thank you, Rodney for all your hard work on Mythras Classic Fantasy, and thank you, Loz and Pete for your efforts in releasing it. I find Mythras Classic Fantasy to be absolutely fantastic, like all Design Mechanism products. My D&D 3.5 group is looking forward to playing it when our current campaign wraps up, and it’s my turn to GM.

I am very, very glad that The Design Mechanism exists, that they make my favorite RPG ruleset, and that they have now given me an easy way to use those rules to also play old school D&D adventures. Thank you for all the enjoyment and creative inspiration you guys have given me through your books. I hope you stay in business for a very long time.

And that, sirs, is no joke

Thank you for the kind words Corrilwynn. :D
threedeesix

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Well, I think it's pretty complete for the most part - it's not as if you can't use it for a long term campaign. As to levels for spells, etc, well it really depends on how fast you want characters to advance. In all honesty, I've never really managed to play a D&D game (of any incarnation) beyond 10th level (to my mind where you generally get to in Classic Fantasy).

Beyond this, if this is a successful and popular product for Design Mechanism - which I suspect it will be as it fulfills a very important niche in most gamer's minds - then why wouldn't they want to get out extensions and supplements for it? I look forward to Unearthed Companion being possibly the first of several.

In terms of what goes in it:

New Classes: Anti-Paladins, Assassins, Witches.....
Monsters
Spells

Also, a look at what options there are in the current edition of D&D, rather than just what was there in the past. Possibly looking at further ways of integrating the Mythras system into the mix. I note, for example, that the D&D game has incorporated a Sorcerer Class since 3rd edition - but if you think about it, the Sorcerer Class was introduced (with spell points and metamagic options) to ape the way RQ Sorcery works! Could this be brought into the game again?
TrippyHippy

Postby trechriron » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Me thinks a Kickstarter is in order. More money, faster book. :-D Oh, and you have my pledge already.
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
My Blog
trechriron

Postby threedeesix » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:22 pm

trechriron wrote:Me thinks a Kickstarter is in order. More money, faster book. :-D Oh, and you have my pledge already.

Thanks for your support Trentin. Of course, money is only one part of a larger reality. Lawrence and Pete are only two guys with a LOT of other Mythras products in the pipeline, of which Classic Fantasy is but a small part. Don't worry, it will come. ;)

Rod

Edit: Oh, and I just ran to the mailbox and didn't see your pledge. You sure you sent it to the right address? :P
threedeesix

Postby Belgath » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 pm

trechriron wrote:Me thinks a Kickstarter is in order. More money, faster book. :-D Oh, and you have my pledge already.

Wouldn't a Kickstarter get you a lot more exposure from the DnD crowd? I do think it's a book that could Get atot of momentum and ifenofe people know about it.
Belgath

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun May 01, 2016 2:08 am

Personally, I'm about done with Kickstarter campaigns....
TrippyHippy

PreviousNext

Return to Products and Releases