Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Classic Fantasy Print Problem

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

Classic Fantasy Print Problem

Postby jasper » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 am

Hello,

I have just purchased Classic Fantasy which I am very happy with. It is an amazing resource and something that I have always wanted to do myself since RQ3 but the task was too daunting.

However , there is a printing error on page 297 and 299 where blocks of text overwrite each other. It is slightly disappointing as there is information about monsters that I can't read at all.

I wonder if this is a one off with my book or are the producers of the book aware.

I have informed Aeon Games Publishing, in case they are not already aware.
jasper

Re: Classic Fantasy Print Problem

Postby smjn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:32 am

jasper wrote:However , there is a printing error on page 297 and 299 where blocks of text overwrite each other. It is slightly disappointing as there is information about monsters that I can't read at all.

I wonder if this is a one off with my book or are the producers of the book aware.

I have informed Aeon Games Publishing, in case they are not already aware.
I got my copy directly from the Design Mechanism and don't see the problem you describe. I remember Loz saying somewhere that Aeon print their own so the problem may be with their version. Does the problem exist in the PDF also?

Pages 297 and 299 are about magic scrolls and weapon, not monsters. Unless they've changed the page numbers or something.

Edit: I see something like what you describe on page 199 on my printed version actually. Comparing to the PDF, there is some extra stuff in the inner margin, but it doesn't actually hide any actual information.
smjn

Postby groovyclam » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:01 am

I've got an Aeon Games version and my pages 197 and 199 have the overprinted blocks of text you talk about in the monster section (so I assume you mean those pages and not 297 and 299 ).

I guess that means it's the whole batch of books, urgh.

If you contact Aeon about it, let me know how you get on.

Edit:

The overprint on page 199 is in the margin and doesn't hide any of the main text but the one on page 197 does hide some text, so for those who can't read it,it says:

*The creature’s eight tentacles are not tracked individually. Instead, when Hit Points are reduced to
0, enough tentacles have been damaged or destroyed to reduce the carrion creeper’s Action Points to
3. When fully negative, the Action Points are reduced to 2 and the tentacles are all either severed or
maimed and may no longer be used to paralyse victims. Cutting weapons do full damage, crushing
weapons do half, and piercing do only 1 point of damage to the writhing mass of tentacles.
groovyclam

Postby loz » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:19 am

This is one of those InDesign issues we've encountered . Layout files go through many revisions, and a problem we've found is that InDesign will sometimes roll-back to a previous version with no warning. It's a known issue, and similar to InDesign turning on ligatures without warning, and refusing to turn them off again. We think that happened here when generating Aeon's print and interactive PDFs.

The PDF is now rectified and cleaned up, but sadly there's nothing that can be done about Aoen's print copies. Future print editions won't have the same error - we've seen to that - but because it wasn't picked-up in final proofing (and we didn't have the same issue with TDM's print ready PDFs) it's come as a surprise to find that the table overlay has somehow resurfaced.

Contact Aeon; they'll happily discuss things with you.
loz

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:55 am

Worse still, the overlay did not appear visually in the production pdf, so it was in fact invisible until the book started rolling off the press.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby jasper » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Sorry 197 and 199, not 297 and 299. My mistake.

Come to think of it I didn't get the PDF version, I must have forgotten to download it whilst ordering!

I will speak to Aeon and let you know how I get on.
jasper

Postby loz » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

jasper wrote:Sorry 197 and 199, not 297 and 299. My mistake.

Come to think of it I didn't get the PDF version, I must have forgotten to download it whilst ordering!

I will speak to Aeon and let you know how I get on.

The PDF will be fully corrected. This has already been quadruple checked with them.
loz

Postby jasper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:42 am

I have the PDF now, having spoken to Aeon. No problems with the PDF as has been mentioned. All of the print run was affected and so not too much can be done.

Look on the bright side! Maybe it will be a collectors item in future like those LPs or stamps with misspellings!!
jasper

Postby TheHistorian » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Hmmmm...

I got my copy from Noble Knight in July. Print error on page 199, but not 197.

Are there any print copies without this issue?
TheHistorian

Postby ThornPlutonius » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:43 am

I just noticed there's a print anomaly on page 199, gutter margin - looks like part of a table, but it doesn't obscure the main text on the page. Wonder where it belongs...

My copy was pre-prdered, came from Bang. Bummer that you guys have had this run of print problems.
ThornPlutonius

Next

Return to Products and Releases