Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Chaosium & Runequest

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Chaosium & Runequest

Postby HorusArisen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Does anyone know what the difference between this and Mythras will be?

Very happy with Mythras but will this be cross compatible with it?
HorusArisen

Re: Chaosium & Runequest

Postby ThornPlutonius » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:45 pm

You can start with the first Chaosium blog entry on designing the new RQ. Below is the link to the first entry. They just posted the 14th part.

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing- ... st-part-1/
ThornPlutonius

Postby HorusArisen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 pm

ThornPlutonius wrote:You can start with the first Chaosium blog entry on designing the new RQ. Below is the link to the first entry. They just posted the 14th part.

I've been reading them and asking some Chaosium guys questions but nothing so far to tell me why I should bother.

Glorantha alone isn't a pull I'd like to know why I'd get this if I already have a Mythras...so far not a lot said.

The latest blog does add SOME detail...finally
HorusArisen

Postby skoll » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:23 am

HorusArisen wrote:Glorantha alone isn't a pull I'd like to know why I'd get this if I already have a Mythras...so far not a lot said.
If Glorantha ain't your thing, I think you will be happier with Mythras. Personally, I think Chaosium has taken several steps backwards with the RQG design.
Mythras Encounter Generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
skoll

Postby Bilharzia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:17 am

HorusArisen wrote:
ThornPlutonius wrote:You can start with the first Chaosium blog entry on designing the new RQ. Below is the link to the first entry. They just posted the 14th part.

I've been reading them and asking some Chaosium guys questions but nothing so far to tell me why I should bother.

Glorantha alone isn't a pull I'd like to know why I'd get this if I already have a Mythras...so far not a lot said.

The latest blog does add SOME detail...finally

I think if you're not interested in Glorantha there's not much in it, the focus seems primarily on nostalgia and compatibility with the older RQ supplements, all of which Chaosium still sells so I'm guessing that influenced the system decisions. I can imagine a lot of Mythras players who are interested in using Glorantha treating the Chaosium releases as a supplement to Mythras. I did notice Chaosium actually acknowledged the existence of TDM and RQ6 in this press release instead of pretending it never happened.
Bilharzia

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 am

skoll wrote:If Glorantha ain't your thing, I think you will be happier with Mythras. Personally, I think Chaosium has taken several steps backwards with the RQG design.

I've been avidly following RQG and those are my thoughts as well. First of all, new Runequest will be set exclusively in Glorantha - which as a setting is of it's own kind, but not my thing. Second they are going to a very different route from gaming perspective, as RQG will be based on RQ2.5 so a lot of stuff I like in Mythras has been scrapped.

I agree that OP would be happier with Mythras.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Postby HorusArisen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:31 am

skoll wrote:
HorusArisen wrote:Glorantha alone isn't a pull I'd like to know why I'd get this if I already have a Mythras...so far not a lot said.
If Glorantha ain't your thing, I think you will be happier with Mythras. Personally, I think Chaosium has taken several steps backwards with the RQG design.

Because I have Mythras Glorantha s the reason I'm interested in it.

What I wanted was a gamers opinion on the system, Mob has suggested I check out the BRP forums, I'm hoping some playtesters post there.
HorusArisen

Postby HorusArisen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:36 am

Fall-from-Grace wrote:
skoll wrote:If Glorantha ain't your thing, I think you will be happier with Mythras. Personally, I think Chaosium has taken several steps backwards with the RQG design.

I've been avidly following RQG and those are my thoughts as well. First of all, new Runequest will be set exclusively in Glorantha - which as a setting is of it's own kind, but not my thing. Second they are going to a very different route from gaming perspective, as RQG will be based on RQ2.5 so a lot of stuff I like in Mythras has been scrapped.

I agree that OP would be happier with Mythras.

I suspect your right and my next game is ready to go using Mythras.

I don't mind buying other games but since my only interest in this is Glorantha it needs to tell me what I'm getting out of the game I can't get from Mythras.

So far sounds like they're going backwards.
HorusArisen

Postby deleriad » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:39 am

At the risk of saying the same thing as everyone else, I'm saying the same thing as everyone else.

Mechanically, RQG, appears to be 1980s RQ2 with some minor tidying meaning that you could run old RQ2 supplements. If you know RQ2 then you know RQG. Like RQ2, RQG is wedded to Glorantha. Like RQ2 you could untangle RQG from Glorantha if you wanted to use the core system in another setting.

Where it changes from RQ2 is in character generation (looks like a type of lifepath system), competence of starting characters, introduction of passions, mechanical integration of runes, and the magic systems.

RQG looks to have four magic systems: battle magic (aka Mythras Folk Magic), Rune Magic (aka Mythras theism), Shamanism (aka Mythras) and sorcery. Although they share the same categories as the Mythras equivalents they look to be vastly different. As with any BRP game, if you really like one or more of the magic systems you could disentangle them from Glorantha and either add them to Mythras, a new setting or replace the equivalents.

Personally, I'm likely to buy RQG as a supplement to Mythras and, one day maybe, run some Mythras in Glorantha by adapting my favourite RQG elements. I have no interest in using the core RQG systems: it was exciting and innovative in 1980 but I prefer the ease of use and refinement of Mythras.
deleriad

Postby Fall-from-Grace » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:37 am

deleriad wrote:Personally, I'm likely to buy RQG as a supplement to Mythras and, one day maybe, run some Mythras in Glorantha by adapting my favourite RQG elements. I have no interest in using the core RQG systems: it was exciting and innovative in 1980 but I prefer the ease of use and refinement of Mythras.

That may be the "best of both worlds" -way to go. Once you're settled in with Mythras, converting other BRP products aren't that much of work, I think. While I'm not interested in Glorantha, out of the King of the Dragon Pass videogame, I'm keeping my eye on RQG with same plans. They may have some innovative ideas at Chaosium and I'll may snatch them if they are needed. But again, IMO this is a point for Mythras — it's so easy to customize the game, and add or remove some aspects if needed for the sake of the game.

That being said, newest post on that RQG design blog was intriguing. Using runes to inspire roleplaying by adding some game mechanical bonuses does seem worth a thought, especially as I have both novices and veterans in my roleplaying group. Also character creation being sort of lifepath system is quite interesting, I've been thinking about something like that for my upcoming Mythic Britain session 0 when players will create their characters.
I believe that the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you... And the more you are revealed to yourself.
Fall-from-Grace

Next

Return to General Gaming & Discussion