Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Chaosium is Under New Management

Chaosium is Under New Management

Postby loz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 pm

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?762 ... r-Chaosium

Now, this has implications for RQ and Design Mechanism and I will be posting a fuller discussion/news piece as soon as time permits. I can assure all our fans, however, that Design Mechanism isn't going anywhere, the RQ6 system continues, all our books will remain on sale and we will be continuing to release our own RuneQuest material.

But Pete and I will be working very closely with Chaosium, in official capacities, and we'll explain more as soon as time permits.

I can assure you all that this is Good News.

Loz
loz

Re: Chaosium is Under New Management

Postby Vile » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Phew! And that's why I rushed over here and I can now smell my porridge boiling over so I'd better get back to the kitchen but I'm glad it's all good!
Vile

Postby Gloranphile » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:44 pm

Wonderful news, now you guys go grab some beers and chill out!
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby Redcrow » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 pm

I wasn't really that concerned myself. Design Mechanism have a proven track record of delivering quality material and RuneQuest 6 seems to be a rather stellar success thanks in large part to Pete and Loz at the helm. This seems like a great time to be a fan of Chaosium and RuneQuest and I can't wait to hear more.
Redcrow

Postby bturnertx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 pm

Both Moon Design and Design Mechanism have demonstrated an excellent track record of quality releases and management that (to put it bluntly) suggests that the adults are in charge. I've got great confidence in the future of both!
bturnertx

Postby Heimdallsgothi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:19 pm

I really hope this means good things.

I kick startered the guide to glorantha, and have every intention of buying AiG when its released in support of TDM, but if they tie RQ back into glorantha like it was originally, I really have no interest in it.

My main concern is the mention of a new Version of Runequest,6 is pretty awesome, and barely a year old...
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Heimdallsgothi

Postby Baulderstone » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Based on the linked thread, all the news of a new Runequest edition comes via tweets from someone watching, so i am hoping for miscommunication. I don't really want a new edition of Runequest at the moment. As 6 was sold as the definitive version Whitaker and Nash wanted, having them turn around and do another one seems odd.

If it's basically the same rules in Chaosium or Moon Design trade dress, I would be fine with that. I could choose to buy it or ignore it based just how shiny its trade dress is.

I'm really hoping this does nothing to delay Adventures in Glorantha though.

With my baseless hand-wringing out of the way, let me congratulate Chaosium, Moon Design and The Design Mechanism. Even if it does involve an unwanted new edition, I am sure this will ultimately lead to some very cool stuff. If it means that both TDM and Chaosium are putting out quality supplements, that would be fantastic.
Baulderstone

Postby jux » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:47 am

Will see how good these news are going to be. Chaosium have shown funny progress lately - supplements so much behind deadline and the pricing is crazy. I will NEVER buy Oriental Express or any other product that costs so much. I am waiting for a new version of Beyond the MM, though - but it will probably be some 100$ supplement as well.
jux

Postby simonh » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:08 am

I don't expct a new edition of RQ any time soon (but have no inside knoweldge), RQ6 is still fresh and doing well. However when the time comes to do a new edition, I hope it does have Glorantha baked in. Please bear in mind doing so doesn't really make it all that hard to adapt a game to other settings. Fans have been doing that since the start of the hobby anyway, and it's not as though the current edition of RQ6 provides all that great direct built-in support for Simonia AwesomeWorld anyway. In general I think settingless RPGs end up feeling flat and tasteless compared to ones with a good setting.

BTW there's a bit more info on the changes at Chaosium in a special edition of the Tales of Mythic Adventure podcast, just dropped today, in which Greg lays it all out. There's no specific mention of Design Mechanism or RQ, but it's useful context on the history of Chaosium's past brushes with bankruptcy and what's being down this time around any why.

http://www.glorantha.com/mythicadventure/

Simon Hibbs
simonh

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:46 am

I think the base question for me is: will RuneQuest 6 replace BRP, or how will they work together?

EDIT: Following on, there seems to be a message flying round that there will be a new version of RuneQuest? I hope not. The game I invested in was this one….
TrippyHippy

Next

Return to News