Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Big Purple Poll

Re: Big Purple Poll

Postby Matt_E » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:08 am

The main pile of bars in that poll's graphic only accounts for 65% of votes; 35% were for "other". I wonder where Savage Worlds, GURPS, and the Black Hack come in... I think GURPS's stock may be low these days, but SW & especially now BH are quite popular, I think.

Poor "Shadows Over Esteren"--! I wonder why it was picked by the pollsters to be in that pile of named systems? I suppose they expected it to get at least one vote...

As always, this may say more about the people who take polls on RPG.net than the larger gaming world. Nonetheless, I am glad our favorite system is doing so well! As Calvin would say to Hobbes, "Medals all around!"
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Sylverlokk » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:16 am

can't vote but left a post supporting Mythras. Next step is to make Mythras the name people associate with the former runequest 6.
Sylverlokk

Postby loz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Yes, there are some very surprising omissions from the list of games on the poll - and the comments list many games that, had they been included, would've captured quite a share of the vote: Savage Worlds, Fate, Exalted... I'm assuming SW and Fate are considered generic games, but Exalted represents a particular kind of fantasy that is very popular.

I never take polls like this too seriously, but it's still enormously gratifying to see that Mythras/RQ6 now has 14.25% of the vote, is beating all the other named systems, and clearly is making a mark on a very crowded gaming landscape.

Thank you everyone.
loz

Postby Clarence Redd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Well deserved first spot. Voted RQ6/Mythras of course.
Clarence Redd

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:29 pm

loz wrote:Yes, there are some very surprising omissions from the list of games on the poll - and the comments list many games that, had they been included, would've captured quite a share of the vote: Savage Worlds, Fate, Exalted... I'm assuming SW and Fate are considered generic games, but Exalted represents a particular kind of fantasy that is very popular.

I never take polls like this too seriously, but it's still enormously gratifying to see that Mythras/RQ6 now has 14.25% of the vote, is beating all the other named systems, and clearly is making a mark on a very crowded gaming landscape.

Thank you everyone.

It depends on which site for what you consider the best fantasy rpg - these polls tend to tell you more about the site preferences than anything else. Exalted never quite grabbed me in a way it should.

In my view, the best historically based fantasies are:

King Arthur Pendragon
RuneQuest/Mythras - Not going to get into preferences at this point, but you recognise that I am posting here as a fan. I could list them separately now I guess.
D&D (5th edition is the best, otherwise I like the Basic version of the game)
Ars Magica
Warhammer FRP
Stormbringer
The Dying Earth
The One Ring

If you wanted to branch out further, I'd include experimental games like Baron Munchausen or Amber Diceless too. Oh and I like GURPS Discworld. Not that much of a fan of generic games for fantasy, though, as the setting is normally more important to me.
TrippyHippy

Previous

Return to News