Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

And the New Name is...

And the New Name is...

Postby loz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:39 am

Mythras is the new name for RuneQuest 6th Edition, the acclaimed roleplaying system developed by The Design Mechanism.

From July 2016, the name Mythras takes over from the previous trademark, but the same great rules continue, bringing you d100-based roleplaying adventure centred on logical, consistent, straightforward mechanics, coupled with innovative approaches to character creation, combat, magic and monsters. The name may have changed, but the song remains the same.

Why did we choose Mythras as a name?First of all, the game has always been about adventuring in mythic landscapes, with characters shaping their own stories, creating their legends and forging their own myths. It comes from the authors’ deep love of real world myths and ancient stories and so is the natural starting point for a new name.

Next comes Mithra or Mithras, a deity found in Persian, Greek, Roman, and Celtic mythologies. Mithras is a god of warriors, a divine protector of oaths and covenants, a protector of cattle and of waters. In the Zoroastrian Avestas, he is described as Mithra of Wide Pastures, of the Thousand Ears, and of the Myriad Eyes.

Bringing these two sources together gives us Mythras, a game concerned with myths, protectors, oaths, great deeds and wonderful stories: the perfect name for our game system.
loz

Re: And the New Name is...

Postby hkokko » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:58 am

Cool...
hkokko

Postby CryAxe » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:02 am

Great name!

It's simple, memorable and evocative of the game's content and place in the RPG community.

Congratulations.

Too bad we can't start using the name right away. It fits this particular rule system so much more than RQ6, to be honest.

I like the logo, too. ;)
CryAxe

Postby Baulderstone » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:13 am

CryAxe wrote:Too bad we can't start using the name right away.

The cover of your book didn't update yet? Maybe they are pushing out the updates in batches. ;)

I like this name a lot. The spelling makes it unique enough to google, but it has, well, mythic resonance.
Baulderstone

Postby Gloranphile » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 am

Great choice, Loz and Pete!
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby Jakob » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:23 am

Sounds great!
The new cover can actually be seen at the back of the Classic Fantasy preview ...
Jakob

Postby pachristian » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:34 am

Sounds just a good on this forum as on the other one.

I'm curious: Are you going to keep the Gloranthan Runes in the game? Or did they have to be edited out?
pachristian

Postby Heimdallsgothi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 am

Awesome
When can I start buying Mythras branded stuff?
I need a new Core book, in both hard and soft cover as well as PDF format...
I have 8 players looking for the same
You might want to talk to alliance tho, they do make it hard to get TDM stuff on the west coast here in the states, the tend to keep most of your stuff back east...
If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
Heimdallsgothi

Postby Mike Schulenberg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:40 am

The new name definitely works. I like the logo too. It's simple, yet evocative with its suggestion of curved blades and serpentine shapes.
Mike Schulenberg

Postby loz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:51 am

Heimdallsgothi wrote:Awesome
When can I start buying Mythras branded stuff?
I need a new Core book, in both hard and soft cover as well as PDF format...
I have 8 players looking for the same
You might want to talk to alliance tho, they do make it hard to get TDM stuff on the west coast here in the states, the tend to keep most of your stuff back east...

All our supplements from now on will carry the Mythras logo (see the Classic Fantasy preview for an example). Plus, we're not changing the system, so really, all our supplements are Mythras books - they just don't know it yet.

The new core book will be out in July. Possibly earlier, depending on a few other things. In the west of the US, we distribute through Warpath as well, so if your FLGS doesn't stock any of titles, tell them to order it from Warpath or Alliance. Alliance only send stock if an FLGS places an order.
loz

Next

Return to News