Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

And the New Name is...

Re: And the New Name is...

Postby Mankcam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:49 am

I totally agree that the Folk Magic (RQ2 Battle Magic, RQ3 Spirit Magic, MRQ2 Common Magic) of earlier systems was overpowered. For example, in RQ2 a Fireblade does 3D6, although it was dispelled upon the wielder taking damage. In RQ3 it remains active regardless if the wielder was injured or not. In both cases the spell seemed way overpowered to be considered Common Magic. When I heard that RQ6 AiG was returning to variable ('progressive') Folk Magic I thought this was not a change I wanted, despite the consistency of previous editions.

I'm pretty happy that Mythras will keep Folk Magic at cantrip/utility scope, as this makes much more sense and it also does not overshadow the higher magics.
Mankcam

Postby Arren » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:34 am

Mythras like it. As an aside, I have quite a few books on Mithras and mystery cults and I always found it surpising how this cult could have become a major religion if it weren't for circumstance. There were three, unimportant and brief, 'Emperers' who were part of the cult and it was wide spread; a very martial cult with mystery attached - the name suits as a RuneQuest replacement.

Loz/Pete. As you are now having a new typeface (?), altering the layout, replacing artwork and removing the Rune chapter and mentions to runes - why not go further and add exra elements?

Extra elements need not mean it would become another edition - but extra combat styles (Roman weapons Pilim & Falx), full examples of historic/mythic cults (Mithras/Sol Invictus/Orphism) would be welcome, psionic rules and extra creatures could be added without it being "oh no - not another edition". I'd like to support DM with your 'RuneQuest' - but I doubt I'd pick up the new book without changes as I have 3 copies already and the MRQII books.
"Man resorts to magic only where chance and circumstances are not fully controlled by knowledge" Malinowski
Arren

Postby loz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:36 am

While there will be a few, small, additional extras (and I do mean small), we're not going to add a whole lot of additional rules and cults. There are several reasons.

1. We want to try to reduce the page count so that the book can be made cheaper
2. Detailed cults take a lot of space (look at the Mithras cult write in the Mythic Britain Companion, for ex) and can be campaign-specific
3. We already have supplements like Ships & Shield Walls laid out and they just need simple rebranding - integrating into the main rules is actually quite a lot of effort
4. Things like psionics are, again, campaign specific. We may do a set of SF rules as a supplement though, which would be the appropriate place for this kind of thing
loz

Postby Sorn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:41 pm

I'd love to see a full set of Sci-Fi rules as a supplement. Count me in :D.
Sorn

Postby ptingler » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:27 pm

loz wrote:While there will be a few, small, additional extras (and I do mean small), we're not going to add a whole lot of additional rules and cults. There are several reasons.
2. Detailed cults take a lot of space (look at the Mithras cult write in the Mythic Britain Companion, for ex) and can be campaign-specific

Any chance of doing it as a small PDF like the firearms supplement? I think a lot of people would find a dozen or so generic/historical gods as a saving a lot of time for their campaigns.
ptingler

Postby Akrasia » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:21 pm

ptingler wrote:
loz wrote:While there will be a few, small, additional extras (and I do mean small), we're not going to add a whole lot of additional rules and cults. There are several reasons.

Any chance of doing it as a small PDF like the firearms supplement? I think a lot of people would find a dozen or so generic/historical gods as a saving a lot of time for their campaigns.

Yes! This would be a great resource.
My gaming blog: http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com
Akrasia

Postby ThornPlutonius » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:25 pm

I, too, think it would be great to have, and take the existence of "Firearms" and "Ships and Shield Walls" as proof that there *is* a chance, but hope it will be put off until after they have a handle on the other, more pressing, commitments that they have already written about.
ThornPlutonius

Postby Stuart Coyle » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:14 pm

Mythras is a good name. My cat Mithra says so!
Stuart Coyle

Postby Sunwolfe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:58 am

Excellent name choice.

I have a softcover and three hardcover collector's edition of RQ6, and I look forward to adding the Mythras edition to my library. I really admire the highroad DM has taken since last year.

On a side note, I hope you keep the Anathaym cover and simply change the logo. That cover (front and back) is singular and effective not only because it speaks seriously to the feel of the game but also because it's iconic, fantastically artistic, evocative, heroic, and appeals all gaming genders with a sophisticated respect far too many RPG covers lack.

Cheers,
Andre'
Your focus determines your reality ~Qui-Gon Jinn
Sunwolfe

Postby Master of Reality » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Sunwolfe wrote:I hope you keep the Anathaym cover and simply change the logo. That cover (front and back) is singular and effective not only because it speaks seriously to the feel of the game but also because it's iconic, fantastically artistic, evocative, heroic, and appeals all gaming genders with a sophisticated respect far too many RPG covers lack.

It appears that you will get your wish in hardcover! Check out the last page of the Classic Fantasy preview at http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/resou ... review.pdf

I agree. The current cover with Anathym is great. It just needs a change of logo.
Master of Reality

PreviousNext

Return to News