Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

AiG progress and Gloranthan Sorcery

AiG progress and Gloranthan Sorcery

Postby Psychman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Loz and Pete,

Hope the work on AiG is going well. Are there any teasers you can offer us, or any update on a ballpark release date? From reading the Guide to Glorantha, I would imagine the biggest project Pete has had has been rejigging Sorcery to fit in with the principles described in the Guide. may I ask how that's gone/going? Any teasers that can be revealed?

Lovely work on Mythic Britain by the way, and I am at last going to get to try out the system in a campaign that's being planned locally. Player. not GM, but when you do variable shift work freeing up a regular time slot is practically impossible.
Psychman

Re: AiG progress and Gloranthan Sorcery

Postby loz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi Loz and Pete,

Hope the work on AiG is going well. Are there any teasers you can offer us, or any update on a ballpark release date?

Not on the release date, no. We may be able to offer some sample pages soon, but a release date is reliant on a whole ton of things that aren't all in our control.

From reading the Guide to Glorantha, I would imagine the biggest project Pete has had has been rejigging Sorcery to fit in with the principles described in the Guide. may I ask how that's gone/going? Any teasers that can be revealed?

The last time I asked Pete about the work on sorcery he started to giggle. Then it turned into a chuckle, and then the chuckle became a cackle, and then I got scared and left the room. I heard a tearing sound and what may have been a sacrificial knife being sharpened on a whetstone. The sky darkened and the crack of thunder was heard between Nome and Rome. No one has heard from Pete since, but there have been rumours of a strange, demonic creature stalking the long winter nights of northern Sweden and the news is rife with mysterious disappearances, most notably a group of roleplaying game enthusiasts who were invited to some sort of 'playtesting'.

In other words, it's going quite well.

Lovely work on Mythic Britain by the way, and I am at last going to get to try out the system in a campaign that's being planned locally. Player. not GM, but when you do variable shift work freeing up a regular time slot is practically impossible.

Thank you!
loz

Postby Gloranphile » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:19 pm

loz wrote:The last time I asked Pete about the work on sorcery he started to giggle. Then it turned into a chuckle, and then the chuckle became a cackle, and then I got scared and left the room. I heard a tearing sound and what may have been a sacrificial knife being sharpened on a whetstone. The sky darkened and the crack of thunder was heard between Nome and Rome. No one has heard from Pete since, but there have been rumours of a strange, demonic creature stalking the long winter nights of northern Sweden and the news is rife with mysterious disappearances, most notably a group of roleplaying game enthusiasts who were invited to some sort of 'playtesting'.!

This makes me salivate all the more for AiG!
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby Rubrum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:49 pm

I try to use the "eh I'll just keep myself busy with other things and then suddenly the AiG will be popping up" approach. ... .... Except I fail horribly and check the forums every day in the hope that there'll be news about it. :)

I'm actually hesitating about what to start with RQ6 next because I don't know how much I want to invest GM effort in a campaign or mini-campaign if the AiG comes out... at some point.
Rubrum

Postby loz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Rubrum wrote:I try to use the "eh I'll just keep myself busy with other things and then suddenly the AiG will be popping up" approach. ... .... Except I fail horribly and check the forums every day in the hope that there'll be news about it. :)

I'm actually hesitating about what to start with RQ6 next because I don't know how much I want to invest GM effort in a campaign or mini-campaign if the AiG comes out... at some point.

When we have substantive news, we'll not hesitate in sharing it. AiG will be out this year; beyond that, we won't commit.

You may think we're just deliberately obfuscating, or haven't got anything solid, or just enjoy cruelty for cruelty's sake. None of this is true. We simply have to approach AiG differently to any of the other titles we publish because it's a brand and world that comes replete with a great many expectations, not least from Moon Design Publications. Before we can discuss or share anything with a wider public, we have to have their approval first. Believe me, it would be great to dangle teasers and discuss more about our approach to the rules, but until we have certain core mechanics signed-off, we really can't say very much.

Sorry!
loz

Postby Peter Wallström » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Rubrum wrote:I try to use the "eh I'll just keep myself busy with other things and then suddenly the AiG will be popping up" approach. ... .... Except I fail horribly and check the forums every day in the hope that there'll be news about it. :)

My sentiments exactly. See you here! :)
Peter Wallström

Postby Pentallion » Sun May 10, 2015 6:34 pm

loz wrote: AiG will be out this year; beyond that, we won't commit.

That's all I need to know! WHOOOHOOOO! Happy Dance!

loz wrote:You may think we're just deliberately obfuscating, or haven't got anything solid, or just enjoy cruelty for cruelty's sake. None of this is true.

Okay, two out of three ain't bad Loz, but you've been a DM, GM whatever the Nom du Jour is and you can't look at anyone with a straight face and say you don't enjoy cruelty for cruelty's sake, it comes with the job title ;)
Pentallion

Postby soltakss » Fri May 29, 2015 7:08 pm

loz wrote:You may think we
loz wrote:just enjoy cruelty for cruelty's sake. None of this is true.

My, you have changed, then! :)
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/
soltakss

Postby Mankcam » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:09 pm

I always felt that Gloranthan Rune Magic should be portrayed a little more free form than the current Magic rules, and once I was vaguely considering porting over the Unknown East Magic rules from BRP Stormbringer (which are now the Deep Magic rules from BRP MagicWorld), although my days of that level of tinkering are over due to time committments. However it is interesting to see that Loz has also cast his thoughts back to that work.

I will be very interested to see how Malkioni Sorcery is portrayed in RQ6:AiG, as the G2G does infer Malkioni Magic as being a little less empirical in nature than envisioned in earlier publications on Gloranthan Sorcery, especially in regards to listing several core magical skills for runic manipulation.

I have considered portraying this by having specialties with the Shaping skill. For example, Shaping (Summoning & Dismissing), Shaping (Tapping), etc etc.
I thought if these Shaping skills are applied to different Runes then the Sorcerer could describe the outcome and create the effect on the spot, although incurring negative modifiers to the Invocation roll.

Specific spells are still taught (as being set rote versions of the rune shaping effects), and as they have no negative modifiers to Invocation then they are more attractive to cast, especially for lower rank sorcerers.

I kind of view this as two types of Wizardry mixed within the same system, casting my memory back to Raymond Feist's novels which had rote spell learning Wizards in Midkemia, and free-form Mages in Kelewan. Joining the two approaches seems natural, very much like White Wolf MAGE in some aspects which allows for direct Sphere use as well as rote spell use.

I'll also be interested in seeing if Malkioni use Folk Magic for the common Dronar population, and Sorcery for the higher castes; or if it replicates the Cults/Brotherhoods model with Folk Magic for the lower organisation ranks, and Sorcery for the higher organisation ranks. I originally presumed the later (as being described in RQ6 rules), but then it struck me that it could possibly be a social class based approach instead. Well it indirectly probably works out in this fashion in any case, but I can see the Brithini and Rokari keeping more strictly to that structure.

Anyway it's going to be interesting to see what Design Mechanism comes up with, although perhaps leaving Pete alone too much with the Sorcery chapter may not be such a good idea heh heh

I can't wait for the AiG book, I am likely to be one of the first on the boat if it's a kick starter!
Mankcam

Postby loz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Anyway it's going to be interesting to see what Design Mechanism comes up with, although perhaps leaving Pete alone too much with the Sorcery chapter may not be such a good idea heh heh

Folk Magic, Sorcery and Spirit Magic are finished. Pete is working on Rune Magic right now. We spoke about it today. Actually, I say spoke, it was more me saying something like 'How's Rune Magic going?' and a low growl being heard over Skype. The growl turned into something like nails being scraped over a coffin, and then my skype screen turned blood red. Over Lake Ontario a death's head formed in the clouds and there was a plague of black fly a mile long swarming down the road where I live. What had previously been Pete is too hideous to describe and I dare not sleep, for fear of that face and that noise haunting my vision, purging my soul, gnawing to the very core of my being. I fear for Northern Sweden now. I hear tales of Elder Signs being inscribed on doors, and of Abba songs being played backwards to ward away the fiendish, slavering Game Designer who skulks the midsummer streets shrieking 'Rune Cults! Rune Cults!' like something possessed of Hell itself.

In other words, we'll be publishing a preview version of AiG for GenCon, all being well.
loz

Next

Return to Glorantha