Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Adams and Fisher, RIP

Feel free to discuss any general gaming topics, and any other games.

Adams and Fisher, RIP

Postby loz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:54 pm

It's not often I do obituary pieces, but on this day, I feel I want to.

RIP to Richard Adams - who authored two of the best fantasy books of all time (Watership Down and Shardik), and Carrie Fisher - who appeared in one of the best fantasy series of all time.

I encountered both at about the same age; I was 11 when I first read Watership Down, and 11 when Star Wars came out. Watership Down made a huge impression, because it was a strange, long, complex fantasy work complete with its own mythology, and it actually led me to read Lord of the Rings. Years later, I read Shardik, and it had a similar impression; a vast, complex, complicated view of mythology, freedom, slavery and the brutality of nature and humanity- recurring themes in Adams' work. I heard him being interviewed on BBC Radio 4 around 1994 or 1995 and the interviewer was accusing him of being a sentimentalist because his books focused on animals; Adams said 'Have you read any of my books? I mean, really read them?' And the interviewer admitted he hadn't... it is a fabulous takedown of a pompous **** by someone who possessed genuine humility and had witnessed immense cruelty and horror in his life. Very sad that Richard Adams has passed.

So too for Carrie Fisher. I never had a Leia crush, but I admired the gutsy spirit of Leia, and the gutsy spirit of Carrie. She lived a life of excess, survived it, never apologised for it, came out of the other side, wrote about it candidly, and was always refreshingly herself. Her death at 60 is a sad, sad loss, just as Star Wars is entering a new chapter of longevity.

2016 has been an absolute *******. I really do hope 2017 doesn't feel any need to outdo its predecessor.
loz

Re: Adams and Fisher, RIP

Postby Matt_E » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Well said...and, yet, I fear (for) 2017. :-|
SECRETS OF BLOOD ROCK is here. Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!
Matt_E

Postby Vile » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:05 am

I did have a Leia crush, in fact I'm pretty sure she was the reason I first came across the word in my fledgling use of the English language. I was actually exposed mainly to Star Wars merchandise at first because I couldn't afford to see the movie until it came out as a double feature with Empire Strikes Back, particularly the Marvel comics. I don't know if that had an effect, but to me she always seemed to be the main character of the saga (it's perfectly possible for a pre-teen to have a crush on a hero figure!), with Vader a close second. Of course Fisher went on to do so much more, but in my personal universe she is the person responsible for one of the most formative elements of my childhood.
Last edited by Vile on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vile

Postby Gloranphile » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:32 am

Watership Down was one of those books that changed my childhood perceptions of reality, understanding the perils of existence and the dangers we face to one another, but also the immense love and kindness we can provide.

Star Wars has influenced me since seeing A New Hope in the theaters many moons ago, and now with a daughter, I'm thankful that Carrie Fisher set the tone for tough women in that universe.

Also, f#*& 2016...
Longtime RuneQuest player, loving Mythras, currently running a game in Glorantha, using AiG rules.
Gloranphile

Postby umbraldragon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Only a writer crush on Adams, Shardik (bear god - super cool), plague dogs, the ships cat, etc. Couldn't finish Watership Down. Too emotional, powerful, real. The world is less without either of them.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today."
- Richard Adams
Certain mystes aver that the real world has been constructed by the human mind, since our ways are governed by the artificial categories into which we place essentially undifferentiated things, things weaker than our words for them.
- Gene Wolfe
umbraldragon

Return to General Gaming & Discussion