Welcome
Welcome to designmechanism

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A GM Screen

For information on Design Mechanism's rules and supplements

A GM Screen

Postby StreetBushido » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:13 pm

RuneQuest 6 is a great game. However, it does have quite a lot of fiddly bits, tables and other things to keep track of. Just the kind of things that would fit nicely on a GM screen.

The success of the hardcover Indiegogo campaign shows that RQ6 has a supportive community that is willing to spend a fair amount of money to support it.

With this in mind, will we ever be seeing a GM screen for RQ6? Perhaps financed by another Indiegogo campaign?

As an added bonus, it would be pretty sweet to see art like the stuff we've seen so far, but adorning a GM screen.
StreetBushido

Re: A GM Screen

Postby smjn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:18 pm

I would rather see the limited resources of The Design Mechanism put to better use than making something that most people are able to put together themselves, such as a GM screen. Sure, if TDM were Hasbro or even Mongoose, there would be no problem, but if its just essentially two people doing the work, its better that they keep producing high quality gaming books like they have.
smjn

Postby Pete » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:14 pm

As Smjn says, Loz and I are a two man team working in our spare time to write RPG books. Neither of us feels much inclination to produce a GM Screen, since we have other priorities in the pipeline; but our primary issue is that every Game Master has their own preferred arrangement of tables and charts they need. Hell, even the art we select doesn't appeal to everybody. For this reason we provided all the tables in the free to download GM's Pack so folks can design and print customised GM Screens perfect for their game.
The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com
Pete

Postby Sunwolfe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Pete wrote:...every Game Master has their own preferred arrangement of tables and charts they need.

No truer words spoken, Pete!

But Steetbushido, never fear! I've got the pill to cure your GM-Screen ills :D .

I have always set-up my own GM screens. The only one I ever bought was a Mongoose RQ edition and it's still in the shrink-wrap (what the hell was I thinking?). I thought I'd figured it all out when I found the Savage Worlds tryptic with the see-through pockets: three for the players; three for me. I was playing DBRP at the time. I picked the charts I thought were the most useful, formatted 'em up using MSWord, printed 'em off and slipped 'em in. Sweet! I thought I was Displacer Beast's meow. I figured that this time around, I'd just pull the BRP charts and replace 'em with RQ6, nice and slick-like.

Then I saw the most awesome vid posted on Johnn Four's site. I mean, I'm talking light from heaven and angels singing awesome. This is brilliant, I thought. I work with office products all day long. Why the hell didn't I think of this before :shock: ? Check it out:

http://wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=IH1zx1Wqd5g

This bad-boy is THE way to go when it comes to a GM Screen. Three panes for the players and tons for me! I made three indexes of all the charts in the Corebook and the GM pack: one in the order they are presented, one alphabetical and one by subject. It's all there at my fingertips: perfect for they way I want 'em and perfectly bad-assfully useful :idea: .

Check out the vid...seriously.

Cheers,
Your focus determines your reality ~Qui-Gon Jinn
Sunwolfe

Postby StreetBushido » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks for the replies!

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I just felt the need to throw my desire for a screen out there. Make it, and its denial, official, so to speak.

I've been thinking about getting one of these:

http://hammerdog.com/twgs/index.html

They seem pretty nifty, and I like that they come in landscape.

The linked DIY-screen, however, looks really sweet. Generally, I prefer landscape format for screens, but the versatility granted by that setup looks worth the portrait format! Thanks for the link.
StreetBushido

Postby RangerDan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 am

Maybe you could do the above with landscape-format ring binders (they seem hard to find with clear pockets on the front though...)
RangerDan's Combat Style Creator Thread / PDF.
RangerDan

Postby Pruneau » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Looking neat! I don't want a screen between me and my players, but the idea is cool. We have 5 identical handout binders with the tables and combat effects, those are quite neat as well, but I'd like em really compact. I have a computer folder with all the individual tables as jpgs, but I'm thinkg about exporting the contents and creating very compact tables, with only the things I haven't got in my head.
Hark! you shadows that in darkness dwell
Learn to contemn light
Happy, happy they that in hell
Feel not the world's despite
Pruneau

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:34 pm

GM screens are pretty outmoded as a tool, for me, these days. I just use laptops and tablets.
TrippyHippy

Postby loz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Sunwolfe wrote:
Pete wrote:...every Game Master has their own preferred arrangement of tables and charts they need.

http://wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=IH1zx1Wqd5g

This bad-boy is THE way to go when it comes to a GM Screen. Three panes for the players and tons for me! I made three indexes of all the charts in the Corebook and the GM pack: one in the order they are presented, one alphabetical and one by subject. It's all there at my fingertips: perfect for they way I want 'em and perfectly bad-assfully useful :idea: .

Check out the vid...seriously.

Cheers,

I've just made one of these. 2x binders = $2 each from Liquidation World, pack of gold binder clips $3.50. An excellent, sturdy, very adaptable GM screen for $7.50.

Bargain.
loz

Postby hkokko » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:30 am

Here are four sheets that may be useful cross references during game session. Created a binder for the group which has these and few others...

Comments welcome.

All offensive special effects on three pages - criticals and specials on first page
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0J20A ... sp=sharing

Choose Location here is critical only. On RAW it is always available

All defensive special effects on two pages - criticals and specials on first page

Healing and wounds cross reference sheet

Diminish effect on characteristics - maybe useful when using diminish/enhance spells by your sorcerers
hkokko

Next

Return to Products and Releases